Solved

Excluding columns from the export functionality

• 11 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello everyone,

In our software we have columns that are necessary, but hidden from the user and a display column that converts that value in the hidden column to the right value. When the user wants to export it shows two columns, the hidden column and the visible column that holds the converted value. That hidden column is a column we do not want to export, the user only needs to be able to export the converted value based on their settings.

We tried multiple things, setting all columns that we do not want to show to hidden, setting it fully hidden in the subjects screen, even via the layout logic where we tried to set fields to hidden when it entered the export mode. Nothing seemed to work as we had hoped. So my question is: is there a way to fully exclude columns from the export list. Some columns are hidden in the grid and form for a reason, and we do not want to keep those in our export list.

In this screenshot you can see what I mean. In the case of length, height and width there is a base column which is hidden, and a display column that needs to show the converted value based on the user's settings. The hidden column with the base information is the one we don't want to export as it is not useful for the user.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 22 April 2024, 15:16

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Sander,

The export should take into account hidden columns, however that is only if they are hidden on model-level; first Grid level, thereafter Column level. Layout logic does not influence this. For an export, the Layout logic would have to be run for every single row and would most likely show quite a broken-looking export as sometimes columns are shown and sometimes not.

We do have a ticket internally about the export and that it exports all columns which is currently on the backlog.

Ideally I think we will need to have the option in the model to be able to specify whether or not a column should be included in an export. This idea is covers that: Ability to preconfigure import/export/mass update settings | Thinkwise Community (thinkwisesoftware.com)

Badge +1

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. That idea indeed does cover what we need in this case.

So if I understand it correctly, the database values, even when hidden in the subject, are displayed at export? If that is so, we may be able to make all non-display fields hidden in the model for the time being, so we can exclude the fields from the export list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

When hidden in the model, the column should be omitted from the Export. That way you can prevent values from being placed in the Export file.