The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process - HTTP Error 502.5

• 9 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

This morning when I tried to reach out an application using the OpenID provider, Indicium 2021.1.16 - hosted on Azure - suddenly crashed. The first message I received was:

The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process.

I refreshed the browser and then I got the following error:

HTTP Error 502.5 - ANCM Out-Of-Process Startup Failure
Common solutions to this issue:
The application process failed to start
The application process started but then stopped
The application process started but failed to listen on the configured port
Troubleshooting steps:
Check the system event log for error messages
Enable logging the application process' stdout messages
Attach a debugger to the application process and inspect
For more information visit: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=808681

Then I refreshed again and it worked again.

In the logs I can only find the following lines which probably have to do something with it:

2021-03-09T08:25:54.2547150+00:00  [ftl] Unable to start Kestrel. (fc6a528d)
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Listen(Int32 backlog)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Transport.Sockets.SocketTransport.BindAsync()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.KestrelServer.<>c__DisplayClass21_0`1.<<StartAsync>g__OnBind|0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.Internal.AddressBinder.<BindEndpointAsync>d__3.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.ListenOptions.<BindAsync>d__43.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.Internal.AddressBinder.AddressesStrategy.<BindAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.Internal.AddressBinder.<BindAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.KestrelServer.<StartAsync>d__21`1.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.Internal.WebHost.<StartAsync>d__26.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.WebHostExtensions.<RunAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
2021-03-09T08:26:05.5672214+00:00  [ftl] Unable to start Kestrel. (fc6a528d)
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Listen(Int32 backlog)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Transport.Sockets.SocketTransport.BindAsync()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.KestrelServer.<>c__DisplayClass21_0`1.<<StartAsync>g__OnBind|0>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.Internal.AddressBinder.<BindEndpointAsync>d__3.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.ListenOptions.<BindAsync>d__43.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.Internal.AddressBinder.AddressesStrategy.<BindAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.Internal.AddressBinder.<BindAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Server.Kestrel.Core.KestrelServer.<StartAsync>d__21`1.MoveNext()

Azure Application Insights did not log anything.

What could this be?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi René,

For what we can find online, the solution is to add a setting with value

WEBSITE_VNET_SUPPORT_DUAL_STACK_SOCKETS = 1

https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/44686

Can you see if that solves the issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the answer. I'm not sure if we should apply that setting. Later on the day we had several issues with both Indicium and the Web GUI with vague (connection) errors. All restarted and worked then properly. My guess was that the App Service Plan on Azure was reaching it's limit, but I'm not sure about that. There were only a few peeks in cpu/memory load but not really indicating trouble.

WebGUI had the following messages, both when opening a subject, both on a different app service:

• An unexpected network error occured
  • Could not load file or assembly ‘FluentScheduler.Internal, … An unexpected network error occured. (Exception from HRESULT 0x8007003B)

We'll keep an eye on it.

Br, René