Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

In our software solution we have a task with a drop down, it looks like the following:

This solution works with certain icons that change on the grid. And now it would be better to visualise it in the drop down with the icons used in the grid. All these options have their respective icons, is it possible to use those instead of text? We think this will make it clearer for the user to understand the task. So is it possible to use images in such a drop down or should I turn this into an idea?

This can be achieved by setting the control type of your domain with elements to Image combo.

We use this in several places as well:

Hi,

So I applied this to the specific domain I want this to happen for, but when I select this, it won't show the image next to the translation, instead it shows just the database value. I think I am missing something, but I do not know what. What could cause the fact that it only shows the database value and not the expected value with the icon?

Hi,

So I applied this to the specific domain I want this to happen for, but when I select this, it won't show the image next to the translation, instead it shows just the database value. I think I am missing something, but I do not know what. What could cause the fact that it only shows the database value and not the expected value with the icon?

To me this sounds like your model isn’t correctly getting interpreted. Are you certain you have the correct domain selected for your task parameter and that that domain has elements defined with icons?
Have you tried re-syncing the model to IAM / clear cache etc?

Yes, I have tried all that, it simply shows the following:

It shows the correct values for this type item, but not with an icon or a translation, but with the database value. Once I change this back to Combo it is all well. But as soon as I try image combo again, then it does this again. I regenerated the model, our development environment should be fully up to date and I did clear the cache.

Weird.
@Mark Jongeling  it’s all yours :P

Thank you @J. de Lange, I have been summoned.

Could it be that you have a look-up reference on this task parameter? 

Hi Mark,

We indeed have a look up reference on this task parameter, which in turn uses a view to display the values for that certain type of item. I wanted to get it to work with one single item type in the first place, which should, and thanks to that  view, will show the two options in the screenshot.

I think indeed that is an unsupported way of showing. The control is (I guess) negated by the look-up reference, and that results in a combobox with the selectable records from your referenced target table.

I do like the idea though 😄 This could also possibly be used for the Process action type selection field in the Software Factory; showing the icon for example next to the process action type name. Feel free to create the idea.

This idea: 

:)