Solved

Snackbar duration

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

In the Universal GUI you can show a message as a “Snackbar” in the bottom of the screen.

Is it possible to change the duration before it disappears? It currently disappears after around 7 seconds. I think it could be shorter (in some cases). We want to use it as kind of a confirmation / acknowledge a user has executed a task.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 4 May 2021, 14:13

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi René,

Currently it's not possible to change the duration of any Snackbar message. Feel free to create an idea for this. I do like the idea  :wink:

Would you like it to be a Global or Message-specific setting? And should the user choose their own duration in seconds or choose between for example three pre-defined durations (3s, 5s, 7s)? Be sure to answer some of these type of questions inside your idea. We like to hear how you think of it.

Hi, Thanks for the answer. I think we should try out first before posting the idea suggestion. Maybe nobody notices, only I do :-). However it is probably something application specific and could be overriden per message I guess (with the duration between 4 and 10 seconds according to https://material.io/components/snackbars#behavior). Snackbars are in most cases used for some acknowledgement or ‘less important’ information. Therefore it should be displayed short. And the message should be short. If the message is longer to read, it's duration should be extended. However, if the message is too long, it might be too complex. So a a regular message box should be used. For the messages we want to use it, ~3/4 seconds should be long enough.

Br, René

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi René,

Currently it's not possible to change the duration of any Snackbar message. Feel free to create an idea for this. I do like the idea  :wink:

Would you like it to be a Global or Message-specific setting? And should the user choose their own duration in seconds or choose between for example three pre-defined durations (3s, 5s, 7s)? Be sure to answer some of these type of questions inside your idea. We like to hear how you think of it.