Solved

read excel files

• 1 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

is there a way to read excel files in SF.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 2 March 2021, 14:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Eurban,

Not exactly sure what you want to add or update but you can use the Import functionality to import Excel files. As example in the Columns screen in Full model:

Full model → Columns

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hey Mark,

A want read a excel file, extract  the customers, article, quantity and make a purchase order

Without the question witch columns to import.     

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

How should the GUI know exactly what customers are, what details it has and how to interpretate all data? The columns are quite important for the GUI to know how to import and where to put the data.

When you Inport using translations, the GUI will try and find the correct ID with the customer name for instance. I believe this does require a lookup being set up on the customer field in the GUI. Personally I don't have much experience with using the Import functionality.

Is it very much data or is it a couple of rows? If the data set is little, maybe it's better to put it in by hand. If very much, you can investigate more how the Import functionality can help.

The Excel file you describe sounds quite complex and I have the feeling it requires some coding (triggers) and maybe a new screen to optimize the import of the data. 

Alternatively you can create a Task that imports the data into your database. By having an upload field that writes to file to Disk for instance, then with the Read file connector reading the (UTF-8) Excel data and transporting that data to a stored procedure. In that stored procedure you then can code how the data should be read and where the data needs to go. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Mark,

Thanks, but with the read file connector first I must export the excel file first to csv or I do something wrong.

The import functionality is fine the explanation to all the end users is too much, I think I can't set a default ?

Perhaps I find a other way

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi eurban,

A default column link is made for Columns with the same name. If in the application the field is called Relation and also in the Excel file, it should link it automatically.

The Excel file should first be a CSV file, that is correct. Sorry for the confusion. Xlsx files is not so much usable but a CSV is as you can use functions like string_split to make it columns/rows.