Solved

Override short cuts

• 15 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

For some subjects we've disabled the default CRUD elements and replaced it by tasks.

For the ‘Edit’ I can assign Ctrl + E to “override” the default edit shortcut. However, for the add and delete I cannot select the + and - sign. The Ascii code table is unfortunately read only. Is this somehow possible to do?

It would make more sense to our users the shortcuts are generic and not mixed (Ctrl+- and Alt+X for example). I'm aware that this idea would probably fix our problem, but I don't really expect that to be implemented soon.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 15 April 2021, 10:18

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi René,

I have added the keycode into the Ascii table through SQL code but it seems the GUI does not recognize that it should now activate a Task instead of the GUI add button. So it is not possible.

What does seem to work is adding keycode 187 which is the + (=) character that is beside the Backspace key. However, I don't recommend doing that as the GUI will then tell the shortkey is:

OemPlus = + key next to Backspace

We do have the Idea of CRUD tasks high on the backlog so there's a good chance we'll implement it with the 2021.3 release as this is a great idea that is wished for by many.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Mark,

I have ascii code ‘f5’ assigned to a task, but when I hit the button in the application, the task does not start. When I chose a different ascii code, there is no problem. Is this the same problem as you mentioned before? It is possible to select ‘f5’ as ascii code, so if so, that seems like an issue to me.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hey Mark,

I have ascii code ‘f5’ assigned to a task, but when I hit the button in the application, the task does not start. When I chose a different ascii code, there is no problem. Is this the same problem as you mentioned before? It is possible to select ‘f5’ as ascii code, so if so, that seems like an issue to me.

F5 is often used for refreshing data, not only in the Thinkwise platform (your browser for example). You’re really sure you should use that as a shortcut for a task?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, in this case we need an customized refresh task, so f5 is the most logical shortcut

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Yes, in this case we need an customized refresh task, so f5 is the most logical shortcut

According to the documentation you could use a Refresh as a starting point for a proces flow.

https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/docs/sf/process_flows.html#refresh

Maybe you can customize your refresh with this? This keeps the F5 and refresh intact, and you can attach custom code to the refresh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@jjong, Yes that is the same trouble. You can try what René proposed and see if that gives the desired result :wink:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your response René, I have tried this and this is working! Still this feels like a workaround, since ascii code f5 is available to use as shortcut. @Mark Jongeling  is this something Thinkwise will fix?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for your response René, I have tried this and this is working! Still this feels like a workaround, since ascii code f5 is available to use as shortcut. @Mark Jongeling  is this something Thinkwise will fix?

Difficult to say because currently our GUI's are not expecting this. F5 is bounded to Refreshing a subject, which is hardcoded into the GUI most likely, however we can't disallow the option of select F5 as shortkey as combining it with Shift for example is legitimate.

We do have default validations for this:

Validations for checking GUI shortcuts being used as shortkeys for objects

Feel free to create an Idea for this :thumbsup_tone1: