Solved

Numeric field and decimal seperator

• 13 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I ran into a problem in Thinkwise which caught me by surprise.
I was testing a task that uses a taskparameter with weight as domain:

As shown above the domain is a NUMERIC(9,2)

When I try to enter a point or a comma into the resulting task field I get nothing. But my colleague is able to enter the decimal separator. For example 38.5 becomes 385 on my system and 38,5 on my colleagues system.

I figured out it had something to do with the fact that my windows keyboard profile isn't 100% standard:

When I restore the decimal separator and number grouping character back to the Dutch default (comma and point) instead of my preferred point and space TW works fine again.

Is this a known issue? Is there something that I can do to work around this (other software on my PC prefers the point as decimal separator ;) )

icon

Best answer by Erwin Ekkel 14 September 2021, 14:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

The GUI only supports decimal and point as decimal/thousand Seperator. If you feel like more developers could benefit from also supporting the space character then please create an idea for this in the idea section.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

The GUI only supports decimal and point as decimal/thousand Seperator. If you feel like more developers could benefit from also supporting the space character then please create an idea for this in the idea section.

I used a space because that is the third option Windows gives me:

Judging by your name I suspect you can understand the message in the screenshot.
Personally I would prefer no thousand separator but I might be able to get used to the comma.

By the way, TW didn't accept my decimal separator, I didn't include any thousand separator.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To add a thousand separator, you can use the Control "Numeric” for the domain.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

To add a thousand separator, you can use the Control "Numeric” for the domain.

I feel we have a miscommunication :p

In the Netherlands (as you know ;)) we traditionally use comma's as decimal separators and points as thousand separator. But in reality we usually use the US system with points instead of comma's.

In my Configure International Settings in Windows (start intl.cpl from search box) my Notation is set to Dutch but I manually changed the decimal separator to be a point. Therefore I needed to change my thousand separator which I changed to a space, but I also tried a comma.

Last week I noticed that in a field in TW I wasn't able to type any non integer numbers even though the domain is NUMERIC(9,2) and there are even numeric values present in the table.

7,9 AND 7.9 resulted both in 79

My colleague noticed that on his PC he was able to type numeric values into that exact same field.

7,9 resulted in 7,9

Only difference was that on his PC all values showed comma’s as decimal separator while on my PC it showed points. That was a clue.. I changed my decimal separator in Windows back to the original comma and it started working again.

I wonder how other users outside the Netherlands cope with this as “hele volksstammen” (for the non Dutchies: “many many people worldwide”) use the US notation: 7.9

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

I thought this was only a problem with the space character but it appears there is also an issue with the dot as a decimal seperator. Can you check the following does the domain have a domain control? If not, please set it to either calculator or numeric. When the domain control is set the modified local numeric settings should work. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I thought this was only a problem with the space character but it appears there is also an issue with the dot as a decimal seperator. Can you check the following does the domain have a domain control? If not, please set it to either calculator or numeric. When the domain control is set the modified local numeric settings should work. 

Setting the Domain Control did the trick.
Think it shouldn't have been necessary especially because I will now be forced to look at thousand separators as there isn't a “numeric” only “numeric (thousands separator)”?

No big deal for now as I'm the only one affected, as far as I know.. Good to know though..