One of the major trends in IT is the tighter integration of Communication, Collaboration and Core System tools. Microsoft Teams and Slack are communication channels that not only replace email for many conversations and notifications, but also provide great added value for collaboration. Microsoft Teams far outperforms any of their competitors on collaboration, thanks to being embedded in Office/Dynamics 365 and allowing for custom in-Teams apps, integrations, etc. Slack has been acquired by SalesForce recently with the same purpose of tightly integrating a collaboration tool with a Core (CRM) System:
Together, Salesforce and Slack will deliver the Slack-first Customer 360 that gives companies a single source of truth for their business, and a single platform for connecting employees, customers, and partners with each other and the apps they use every day, all within their existing workflows.
In light of these trends and the high adoption rates of tools like Teams and Slack, I am surprised about the limited Notification options in the Thinkwise platform and the limited nr of docs / community topics. The current references are either about e-mail integration or are feature requests.
With this post I am looking for inspiration from the Community and for vision and timelines from Thinkwise. We are live with the Universal GUI for more than a year now, we have never used the other GUIs in Production (so we might be unaware of some possibilities), and are impatiently awaiting more functionality on the topic of Notifications.
What we have done so far:
- Use Badges to highlight pending items
- Use Task as Start Object to show Release Notes after login (we use an altered version of this solution)
- Users can Create and Assign Tasks across the application, which are shown in the Menu for each individual user
Currently under development:
- Use a 'Subscribe' task and create a 'Notification' view which highlights most important changes related to records to which the user subscribed
- Including a way to mark Notifications as Read/Unread, and a Grid-double click Process Flow to go to the subscribed record
- Teams icon/e-mail Expression fields on top of the Trace fields to allow users to contact the Created by/Updated by person directly (we can do this thanks to the fact that we use email addresses (Azure AD) for login):
- Use Teams Webhook/Power Automate/Azure Logic Apps/Thinkwise Teams app/Microsoft Graph API to send Proactive Notifications to Teams Channel or Chat
Current Thinkwise/Universal GUI limitations:
- We intended to use Badge logic to trigger in-app Proactive Notification messages, but unfortunately the Universal GUI implementation of the Badge logic does not guarantee the delivery of such a message to the end user and Thinkwise is not willing to change this behavior. It would be great if this Idea regarding Menu items in the Top bar (PLEASE VOTE!) is implemented soon, including Badge logic that will always fire for Badges related to these Top bar Menu items.
- As long as Deeplink support (PLEASE VOTE!) is missing, external Proactive Notifications (either via Teams, via e-mail or any other tool) are not very actionable: the Notification won't have a direct link to the record of which the user is notified.
- Deeplink together with Adaptive Cards promises to be a very powerful way to even support actions within Teams/Outlook to trigger changes to records in Thinkwise without users having to open the Thinkwise GUI (f.e. for Approvals).
@Jasper @Anne BuitWhen can we expect Deeplink to work with Universal GUI?
- Push Notifications (PLEASE VOTE!) are not supported by any Thinkwise GUI at the moment, and in fact iOS is not supporting Push Notifications for PWAs at all.
@Jasper @Anne BuitWhen is Thinkwise planning to deliver support for Push Notifications? @Jasper @Anne BuitHow is Thinkwise planning to circumvent the lack of iOS support for Push Notifications?
@Community: can you inspire us with more solutions or ideas that you implemented in your application?