Solved

Merge a branch to another branch

• 22 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi, I would like to merge a branch to another branch. The software factory doesn’t seem to allow this. Selecting the lookup of the trunk and disabling prefilters allows you to select a branch as trunk project but then it won’t allow you to select any target branches anymore.

I need some of the developed functions from the other branch but both branches aren’t really ready for merging to the trunk yet. Is it possible to merge the changes of the other branch to my branch without merging those changes to the trunk first?

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 22 September 2021, 10:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi,

Version 2021.2 does have the option to create branches from branches. You can only merge a branch to a branch or truck that the branch was branched off from.

Example:

• Trunk
    • > Branch
      • >Branch_Branch
        • >Branch_branch_branch

You can merge Branch_branch_branch into Branch_Branch, then into Branch, then into Trunk. 

Using this diagram as another example:

Branching and merging: docs

While it is possible to merge Feature branch 1 into the trunk (or the other way around), it is not possible to merge Feature branch 1 into Feature branch 2 nor Sub feature branch because Feature branch 1 was not created from those branches.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi,

Version 2021.2 does have the option to create branches from branches. You can only merge a branch to a branch or truck that the branch was branched off from.

Example:

• Trunk
    • > Branch
      • >Branch_Branch
        • >Branch_branch_branch

You can merge Branch_branch_branch into Branch_Branch, then into Branch, then into Trunk. 

While it is possible to merge Feature branch 1 into the trunk (or the other way around), it is not possible to merge Feature branch 1 into Feature branch 2 nor Sub feature branch because Feature branch 1 was not created from those branches.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the swift reply. We’ll have to rethink the way we handle branches a bit. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi,

Example:

• Trunk
    • > Branch
      • >Branch_Branch
        • >Branch_branch_branch

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the swift reply. We’ll have to rethink the way we handle branches a bit. 

Hi,

Well I'm interested what your branching strategy is going to be. Please let us know. We have some, I think, similar difficulties: 

The thing is we are used to the possibilities of Git, for example merge feature branchs together. And also update branches of branches with the latest master, which is not possible or very difficult.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi,

Example:

• Trunk
    • > Branch
      • >Branch_Branch
        • >Branch_branch_branch

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Well I'm interested what your branching strategy is going to be. Please let us know. We have some, I think, similar difficulties: 

The thing is we are used to the possibilities of Git, for example merge feature branchs together. And also update branches of branches with the latest master, which is not possible or very difficult.

We’ll likely use the branching and merging as displayed in the diagram except that we’ll have a development branch running parallel to the trunk. On this branch we’ll create all our feature branches. We can merge features to each other via the development branch without going through the trunk which would block our pipeline to production.

It’s a bit more awkward to use than Git this way. I would be inclined to avoid making branches upon feature branches since merging directly to the development branch isn’t possible in that case. We will see how well this suits our needs.