Solved

Maps shows gray on customer location

• 11 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I am using the Maps component, but when I open the location, the map keeps gray. Sometimes, just before the gray block, less than a second something blue is appearing but then it goes to gray.

This functionality does work when I use the application outside of their network it does show the data. However I want to find out where the application is being blocked.

How can I best approach this problem?

icon

Best answer by Alban_T 17 April 2024, 12:54

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Peter Kruis, it sounds as if the URL for the Base layer is somehow blocked. Would suggest you take a look at the network tab of the browser Dev Tools on a device that experiences this problem to confirm the call to the Base layer URL is blocked. Then you’ll have to test whether it is device- or network specific. Some suggestions (not meant to list all potential sources):

If it is also blocked on that device when connected to the application outside of the network (f.e. via hotspot) —> check client-side antivirus or browser settings. We have seen issues with HTTP Layer calls in a HTTPS environment being blocked by Safari, but not by other browsers for example. 

If it is network-specific —> start with checking the firewall (URL/domain whitelist/blacklist f.e.)

Note: I assume that you see different behavior on the exact same environment. If however the Thinkwise environment you are testing with is different (f.e. Dev instead of Prod), it could also be related to the environment configuration of Security Headers for example.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Peter Kruis, did Arie's reaction help you out?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Peter Kruis, it sounds as if the URL for the Base layer is somehow blocked. Would suggest you take a look at the network tab of the browser Dev Tools on a device that experiences this problem to confirm the call to the Base layer URL is blocked. Then you’ll have to test whether it is device- or network specific. Some suggestions (not meant to list all potential sources):

If it is also blocked on that device when connected to the application outside of the network (f.e. via hotspot) —> check client-side antivirus or browser settings. We have seen issues with HTTP Layer calls in a HTTPS environment being blocked by Safari, but not by other browsers for example. 

If it is network-specific —> start with checking the firewall (URL/domain whitelist/blacklist f.e.)

Note: I assume that you see different behavior on the exact same environment. If however the Thinkwise environment you are testing with is different (f.e. Dev instead of Prod), it could also be related to the environment configuration of Security Headers for example.

Hi, sorry for the delay.
My colleague forgot to tell me there was a new reply 🙄

When I log in on my rempte pc at the customer I experience the exact same issue as the user does.

“Would suggest you take a look at the network tab of the browser Dev Tools on a device that experiences this problem to confirm the call to the Base layer URL is blocked.”
Not sure if you realize we are only experiencing this issue with the Windows GUI not in the Universal GUI.

I cannot find any logging from the windows gui that can tell me which base layer url it is calling except for the “https://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}” which is set in the SF.
When I dig into the developer console of Google Chrome running my Universal instance I can see it is loading for example “https://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m&x=2109&y=1362&z=12” and it loads correctly.
So if it is blocked it might only be blocked for the Windows GUI!?

I tried Fiddler and was able to capture the URL's that the Windows GUI is receiving:

The XYZ values are wildly different from what Universal is getting:

I discovered that when I fiddle around (pun intended) with the panning and zoom in the maps component it does show the map but, as expected from the wildly different XYZ values, the location isn't anywhere near Eindhoven NL:
https://www.screencast.com/t/KZDgQqyEMf

The location marker isn't rendered as well, maybe that causes the grey screen?
I get the wrong map tiles so there is no way of rendering the location marker at the correct location… Just a thought...

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Peter Kruis, did Arie's reaction help you out?

Unfortunately it still doesn’t work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello Alban / Peter,

Could you check the windows debugger to see if there is anymore information available which would help us give you an answer. Possibly a error or a information message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Alban_T / @Peter Kruis,

Did you manage to resolve the issue or do you need further assistance? If needed, Edo's question needs to be answered for us to help out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Alban_T / @Peter Kruis,

We would still like to hear your response to Mark his latest question. Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

It seems that it resolved itself, maybe because of the recent update of the Windows GUI?