Solved

How to load filename without actually uploading a file

• 20 April 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Our customer just wants to add a filename to the database without actually uploading the file itself.

I get the impression that if you want to select a file and then retrieve its filename, you automatically have to upload the file.

Is this impression correct? Or how can I get a filename (with or without path) by selecting a file without actually uploading the file?

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 20 April 2021, 08:17

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

To only give in a file name, you'll have to have a non-upload field. The purpose of the upload field is to upload the file itself, not to give in a file name. I suggest creating a new field for it specifically.

A good way to implement what you desire is having a field with the File link domain control. This way you only like the file and not upload it. Even though the file may be inaccessible for others, you could subtract the file name out of that link and place it in another field:

Example file link

When the file is uploaded:

It is possible to select the filename of an uploaded file (database storage) in the Grid and the Form (in edit mode). Here the file path is not relevant because it is uploaded as a varbinary in the database.

Selecting the filename

The file path of the uploaded file (non-database) can be copied as follows:

Selecting the file path