Solved

How does Conditional layout actually work?

• 22 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Within Conditional layout you can have multiple instances. I get the impression that only one at any time will be chosen, even when one changes the font and another the background. It seems that there is an order in which the conditions are checked and implemented.

I'd like to know the order in which the conditional layout are checked, whether the first match terminates further checks, how I may influence the order and how I can combine checks.
Also I'd like to know how multiple conditions on a single conditional layout are combined. Do you have to match all conditions, or one of the conditions, or maybe something else.

For instance I have two conditional layouts, one for font and another for background with different conditions. How can I combine these without having to implement a combined conditional layout.

icon

Best answer by Erwin Ekkel 24 December 2020, 10:04

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

I'm not sure which GUI you use. But this is how it currently works in Windows GUI:

Rules are applied in the following order (in alphabetical order): 

1. general rules with no conditions 
2. rules that apply to 1 column

When there are 2 identical conditions they are executed alphabetically (A comes before B), however only italic/bold settings of the font are carried over, so be careful with making identical rules. Example with 2 identical rules with different font and background settings: 
Rule A says font: 9px, italic, blue. Background: blue
Rule B says font: 10 px, grey.       Background: not set

will result in: font 10px, grey, italic, background not set.