Solved

How can I get a client environment/system variable available in my code.

• 2 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

We currently use a fixed “C:\TEMP “ to generate reports in a process flow (which is an input parameter for the process), this is using a (windows (gui)) client directory. (and is apparently a workaround for issues we had with the reportconnector according to TCP issue 71858 and it wants to use a temporary directory on the client)

When trying to get our application running at our customers we cannot guarantee they have access to C:\TEMP - especially running virtual instances like Citrix. What we do know is that they have access to the clients environment/system variable ‘%temp%’.

We’d like to get the value of the variable ‘%temp%’ from the client to provide this as the input parameter for the process flow but we do not know how we can get the value of the clients variable.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 4 March 2021, 10:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey Ricky,

Jasper has shared a blog post about using Session variables: 

In the docs you can find this: 

https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/docs/sf/extended_properties.html#docsNav

Does this do the trick?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Mark Jongeling  I’m afraid that would return something that is within the “SQL session context” - but we need the windows client environment variable which is in the “windows client session context” on the clients OS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

While the IO process actions do support environment variables, like %temp%, the Print report process action does not. The session variables are also not the answer to your question.