Solved

Execute system task with Windows Command

• 26 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

hi,

During creation we get the following error: Task used in process action Execute system task is not a stored procedure task

We want to execute a windows command (for printing pdf’s). These pdf’s are in a queue table, and a schedule system flow in IAM should process these documents. So I made a system flow to read this queue and start a system task exec_pdftoprinter with a Windows command. 

Any idea why this isn’t validated? The proces action Execute system task accepts a Windows command task, so what’s wrong? 

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 28 September 2022, 12:25

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Tejo,

Indicium doesn’t support any Windows command task (other than a task only opening an URL which cannot work inside a system flow).

You can use the Print file process action from 2022.2 for instance, would that suffice?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

hi @Mark Jongeling,

I tried the printer action

but this also needs user input after executing the processflow. We were advised to use a windows command so we can use 3rd party tools for silently (nu input needed) printing pdf’s. So why is it possible to add a windows command task to an Execute system task when it’s not really supported?

So it is not possible to run windows command’s in a scheduled flow without user input? Any idea’s on a workaround?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So why is it possible to add a windows command task to an Execute system task when it’s not really supported?

There are situations in which we rather create Validations instead of disallowing something to be chosen. This allows the Software Factory to explain why a certain modelling choice is not support, not correct or any other reasoning.

In this case, the Task you select is the same field (task_id) as used for the Start (table) task process action. In those actions, it is possible to use a Windows command task and therefore the look-up shows all tasks, including ones that would not work for the situation.

So it is not possible to run windows command’s in a scheduled flow without user input? 

That is indeed not possible

Any idea’s on a workaround?

I'm not sure how the Print file process action does not suffice. If you do need User input, then it cannot be a System flow. If it doesn’t, then Print file should be possible I think.