Question

Dynamic report

• 8 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I would like to generate dynamic Crystal Reports, where the customer (not the client which runs the application) can put the RPT files somewhere on disk, and via the Thinkwise Universal API I would like to run that RPT with passing parameters given in the API and save the pdf somewhere. I does not need to open the report itself in the application.

For now I need to upload my RPT file in the Software factory and do a deploy each time. This is not realistic as the customer has their own developer and has about 1k reports do change

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Peter,

That is a bit of a tricky requirement. I'm not sure that is possible. You can try the following:

In the Report definition, (you do need one), have a Report parameter using the Property File path. This parameter can then hold the value of where the report is stored. So if you then would Start this report, the value for the File path parameter determines which path and therefor report is read to my knowledge.

If your clients upload the report to a central repository, or at least a repository that has a generic name + maybe some added client specific values, you could load the File path into the parameter. That way the clients report should be loaded/used and achieve your goal.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the late response as this is quite a unique scenario.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Peter Kruis,

Do you still require any assistance on this?