Solved

Customize Shortcut/Application Icon

• 26 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Is it possible to replace the Thinkwise icon by a custom icon?

icon

Best answer by Leroy Witteveen 26 January 2024, 12:42

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Harm Horstman,

This is certainly possible by changing the images favicon.ico, logo.png and logo-512.png.
Make sure to keep these files intact when upgrading to a new Universal GUI though. 🙂
Some more information about installing Universal as Progressive Web App: https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/docs/deployment/universal#installation-as-a-web-app

Kind regards,
Leroy Witteveen

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi Harm,

Just replace the favicon.ico inside the universal folder.

If you need new name of the icon just update the manifest.json to point to new icon.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you!

I thought it would be simple and it was, but there turned out to be a caching problem with my personal iPhone (SE). I still can't solve that, but it worked immediately on another device, so we are fine for new users.

I was also able to adjust the App Title, thanks to a previous conversation in the community.
Install App - Universal

Perhaps it is worth adding these steps to the documentation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Harm Horstman 

I thought it would be simple and it was, but there turned out to be a caching problem with my personal iPhone (SE)

Did you uninstall and reinstall Universal as PWA? Because it seems that iOS doesn't update the icon if it gets changed after the website was installed as PWA.
If you did and it is still caching, as a last resort, you could change the following line of code in index.html from:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="./logo.png"/>
to:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="./logo.png?v=2"/>
And then pull to refresh, to make sure it bypasses the cache. Then, when installing as PWA, it should use the new icon.

Perhaps it is worth adding these steps to the documentation.

I've sent this to our documentation team, they will put it on the backlog so it'll get added to the documentation in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kind regards,
Leroy Witteveen