Process flow as action to connect process flows

Related products: Software Factory Indicium Service Tier

Currently as far as I know it is not possible to connect process flows. This causes multiple duplicate process flows with some minor differences, this is not in the spirit of reusable code. Having the option to link one process flow to another would Eliminate the need to copy functionality in several process flows. It would also make large process flows more readable since you can now cut the process flow into smaller specific task driven process flows. 

The way this would work:

A process flow action can only be used as an end or start point. 

example:
process flow 1 has process flow 2 as an end point. 
process flow 2 has process flow 1 as a begin point. 

Additional checks to prevent problems: check for loops and check if process flow is used as a begin/end point. 

An example could be that just before starting another process flow, show a message with options. The user selects what to do in it and then either stop the current process flow or continue to a new process flow. I really like this idea as complex process flows can be quite big and unreadable; just like data models :wink:

We have an idea like this on our backlog already, so we are definitely looking into this.

How would you feel about a ‘Start process flow’ process action that allows to select a process flow? The process variables of the chosen process flow could then be the input parameters of the process action. This allows you to map the process variables of the original process flow to the new process flow in a way that is similar to all other process actions.

Do you then also get the start process flow as a starting point in the next process flow? You need this otherwise you will not know when editing a process flow that this is also used as a connect point for a different process flow. 

To add to that, we could even take it one step further and allow the original process flow to continue after that second process flow has finished and have the process variables of the second process flow as output parameters as well. That way you can insert a second process flow in the middle of a process flow. I could see some use cases for this, but perhaps we should limit how deep this can be nested.

Do you then also get the start process flow as a starting point in the next process flow? You need this otherwise you will not know when editing a process flow that this is also used as a connect point for a different process flow.

It could work that way. We could also make this visually apparent in some other way. I agree that it should be clear to the developer that this is the case, to avoid unexpected impact when changing the process flow.

Updated idea status NewOpen
Updated idea status OpenWorking on it!

Hi all,

We are happy to announce that in the next version of the platform (2021.3) you will be able to create so-called Subflows.

In short: Subflows are process flows without user interaction that can be used within other process flows. These flows can have input and output parameters so information can be given to, handled by and retrieved from the Subflow.

Subflows are reusable and easy to manage; you can even create them in base projects and make them available for all work projects.

Example:

Example Process flow with subflow
Subflow contents

This is a first step into connecting process flows together :smile: . We look forward hearing your implementations when the platform version releases.  

Updated idea status Working on it!Next release

I don’t see the sub low process action in the TSF. Am I missing something or did this get postponed?

@J. de Lange version 2021.3 of the Software factory is needed for this. It should be coming in a couple of weeks 😉

Updated idea statusNext releaseCompleted