Skip to main content

I was looking on ways to organize a main subject in an application and this is one of the ideas I got. I will make another Idea for the other option.

Business case 1;

We have a table with a lot of columns. It would be handy for the user to have a number of predefined sets of columns / views when using the system in different scenarios. Switching on and of columns one by one as is possible now is not really handy with the amount of columns. This is one way to realize this.

Business case 2;

I don’t find the current option to select the screen type handy as it allows to select default screen types which might not make sense for the application and storing it in the user profile makes that a user could “get lost”, not remembering that he or she is looking at something else then other users. The option also doesn’t allow to configure what screen type is handy where, and where it should be allowed or not.

Idea;

I think that this idea would improve both, giving the developer the option to create a number of preconfigured configurations, which can involve a large number of settings, including the grid layout and the selected screen type.

• The developer can make a number of variants “available for user selection”. ( Best specific for “Main view”, “Detail view”, … etc. )

• The configuration in IAM gets a setting to allow this option for the user or not and this could be extended to a per subject / variant setting, so that it is possible to configure where the option is available.

• The user gets an option; “select variant” in the menu.

• And … the developer could get the option to show the different variants the way variants of Pivot tables and Graphs are currently shown to the user. ( Making the variant toggle more prominently visible, and faster to use ).

I think that this would be a very handy and flexible addition, giving more control to the developer who is developing the interface, and a really fast switch between different variants designed for different use cases to the user.  ( The selection doesn’t need to be stored in the user profile, as it is only one click, that way the user can’t get lost).

Hi @Daan Heemskerk,

I think that your idea can be merged with the following idea, do you agree?

Aa both ideas focus on being able to save “configurations” or “groups” of subject settings.

Not completely as the other idea assumes that the user does it, while this idea assumes that the developer does this in the SF.

You are right, this is indeed an relevant difference. As far as I’m concerned, let’s merge the idea anyway, as it does express a need on the same topic. We can include an additional response that highlights your idea, emphasizing the importance that this can be set up not only by the developer but also by the user.

Please let me know if you would like to post this reaction yourself, where you can elaborate on your business case a bit more, or if you would like me to summarize the content of your idea and post it as a response.

NewNeeds feedback

Maybe you can summarize it, and redirect to this ticket? It might be to long for combining.

But I also found a way to do it with more “good points”, but I stumbled upon a bug which makes it impossible, and I ended up trying to still realize it for days.

The bug is that a workflow stops when you select a detail which is already the visible detail. (The workflow just doesn’t continue), and I don’t have a way to know which variant / tab a user selected, with the result that I can’t create an always working workaround.

This is what I want to realize;

It is a form instead of a filter bar :-)

I got it working but it doesn’t correctly refresh after an insert or update and I can’t build a workflow to fix it. 

For the rest it works beautiful; 

With the view mode you can select the grid variant, and with the filter mode you can select if you want to filter on project and location, or mission and object type, or … 

And, users currently complain about the fact that you have to click multiple filter boxes to clear to see all options, in this solution it works as expected, and wow, we have the big popup to select our filter option when we want for example to filter on a product while there are 250 products.

And, we can use the default procedure instead of the set filters workflow, and a layout procedure to hide the locations when a project doesn’t use them, and … 

To make it work perfect it requires a number of things which I tried to compact into different ideas before, but this is what I want to reach …

I might actually be able to fix the biggest problems by not making the form where people insert new records a detail but the main subject. But that makes that the pre filters and search box become visible at the properties tab, I think that it might almost already work if I accept that…

There are 2 other buttons which I created which end up spoiling it when you are on another table variant.

The problem is that according to the design of universal I can’t put “properties” and “design” from the example above on other tabs without making them other variants, and I wanted this buttons to scroll through the results;

To do this I need a working workflow which can go back to the root, select the next detail and go back to the tab. 

I might not have to, but that is not clear, with the result that I want to do that to be sure, and there I stumble upon the bug that the workflow stops when I go back to the detail again.

There are some other points and I could make this story longer, but think that completely making this possible would require a discussion with one of your developers.