New Process action - (Un)zip file

Related products: Software Factory Indicium Service Tier

For my client it would be very much welcome to have a new Process action that can Zip and Unzip a file.

Since we will use Indicium to help us import files, we need to be able to Unzip uploaded/incoming files. Most times these zipped files are compressed with Bzip2. We currently run code to use 7-zip to unzip the files to the desired location.

I do think other companies can benefit greatly from this too.

The parameters for this action will most likely be but not limited to:

• File location (where the zip file currently is)
  • Zip/Unzip to (location where to zip/unzip to)
  • Compression type (Type of compression used or to be used to zip/unzip - Bzip2 for instance)
  • Password (In case the file is or needs to be protected)

The Process action should return a list/variable of what files have come out of the zip file

We currently do something similar. We currently let the end user upload a zip file containing several import files that need to be processed (What we actually want is a multi file upload, requested here: https://community.thinkwisesoftware.com/ideas/141).

We've built a simple .net core web api converting the zip file and it's content to an xml or json file that's posted. We use a process flow for this: The first task is uploading the file to a variable, this variable is sent to the web service, which returns all data in a variable for further processing in another task.

Vice versa we do the same: We have a task in the end product that can generate a zip file: A xml variable is filled with all the necessary data (array of filename + contents), sent to the web service which converts it to a varbinary(max) variable that can be stored in the database. This is also described over here: https://community.thinkwisesoftware.com/deployment-12/moving-to-azure-sql-database-azure-file-storage-713

If you’re interested I can share some basic code here for the web api, this could give you a work-around for the time being.

Thank you René for your given solution. Sadly the given solution does not fit the future architecture of my client. They only will use the Thinkwise software in combination with Azure database(s). For us it would be very important that unzipping files will be possible through the Process Flow so by submitting this idea (I already talked with the Product Innovation department), the idea can be planned and implemented. 

Currently we host our own database server and there we installed 7-Zip. Then with a script I can use 7-Zip to unzip the (Bzip2) file to a given location; currently a well working solution but it needs replacement in the future.

Again, thank you!

Updated idea statusOpenWorking on it!

Updated idea statusWorking on it!Next release

Updated idea statusNext releaseCompleted