Solved

Tree label mandatory

• 1 August 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Recently we noticed that tree labels are always shown in blue. To us this seems to mean like the labels are mandatory, even if in the subject the field is not set to mandatory.
The situation where we noticed this, is a tree where all nodes have an icon, but not all nodes have a label, in this situation the empty labels are shown as blue squares which just doesn't feel right.
icon

Best answer by Anne Buit 12 August 2019, 08:32

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi Pim,

Do you see the blue square for every node or just the active node?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Only the active one. Are you trying to tell me "That's just how a selected field looks" ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
The tree tries to inform the user of the selected items and active item. Normally, this is done using a background colour and a dotted border on the title.

When there is no title, this is indeed the fallback scenario.

You could create an expression field to display the title in the tree as following:

code:
isnull(t1.subject, '-')

This way, the subject would still be optional but the tree would show the dash instead of a weird blue cube.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
In my situation I feel that a dash just won't do, so instead I have tried a couple of options: null, '', ' ', char(0), char(0x200b).. But it turns out that a space actually gives me the smallest possible visible blue box, which to me has to do for now. Although I think it would be great if a label with value null would be hidden completely.
To solve the 'selected node' issue, maybe the whole node (with or without label) can get the dotted border instead of just the label
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Hi Pim,

The tree is not quite prepared to only show icons and not text. What you see selected is likely the padding on the left and right side of the text, so there is no way to prevent this by shortening the title.

Feel free to create a topic in the Ideas section for support of a tree that is focused on showing icons only.