Solved

Export and Import a Project-version

• 5 March 2019
  • 4 replies

What is the scenario to export a project from one SF environment and import the project into a different SF environment?
One way is of course to retype everything: the requirements, datamodel, tables, gui, etc..
I think there must be a better way to reach the same result.
icon

Best answer by Arjan Sollie 6 March 2019, 15:19

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi Arjan,

I was looking for the same answer. My goal is to be able to develop using a sql server instance on a different server containing only the necessary databases for the development.

A server with a SQL Server developer edition has already been installed on a different location. My plan is to copy the databases of the SF, SF IAM and the latest application dev database to this new server. Then on this new location I create a branch of our project and use that branch to continue development. Then when development is finished I use task_copy_project_vrs to copy the branch back to the SF on the original server where I then merge the branch with the main project.

Would that work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Arjan,

Thank you very much for your reaction.

It seems however that I am still in the learning curve of TSF.
I can't find the code for the task_copy_project_vrs.
How to find this?

Thank you very for your help.

Hi Wiebe,

The Stored Procedure can be found on the SF database through the SQL Sever Management Studio ([dbname]_SF_ONT in my case), under Programmability - Stored Procedures. There you can open the code and use it for your purpose.

Kind regards,
Mark Jongeling
Arjan,

Thank you very much for your reaction.

It seems however that I am still in the learning curve of TSF.
I can't find the code for the task_copy_project_vrs.
How to find this?

Thank you very for your help.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hello Wiebe,

It is possible to copy a specific project version from one database to another. However both Software Factory databases have to be the exact same version of the Thinkwise SF Suite.

If both databases are compatible with each other, you can copy the code used in the procedure task_copy_project_vrs into a custom code. This code will copy a project version into another project version.

This code is similar to the code required to export a specific project and import this project into another database. There is only one adjustment required to enable you to copy the project into another database, you need to change the insert into (insert into new_sf_database..[table]) You can use a find and replace option to do so (replace 'insert into ', 'insert into new_sf_database..').

Notice, you will first need to create the project (target) to which you would like to copy this specific project version (source). Otherwise the copy will fail, since it only copies a project version and doesn't create a project.