Solved

Windows optimization Thinkwise application speed

• 10 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Are there besides Anti-virus exclusions any best practices to optimize the speeds of a Thinkwise application? This could be on the cliënt and/or server side.

For instance to increase the start of the application.

icon

Best answer by Jasper 12 March 2020, 09:55

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Guido, 

Where do you experience delays when starting the application?
And do you use the Web GUI or the Windows GUI (using Clickstart and/or from a network location)?

Hi Jasper,

We use both but especially the Windows GUI fromthe network. As mentioned I'm curious if there are any performance tweaks in Windows for the application in general.

For the example of the startup, this takes now 9 seconds from clicking on “enter” after fill in my credentials en seeing al loaded tile menu.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Starting the Windows GUI from a network location tends to be slower than starting it from a local disk. The Thinkwise Clickstart tool can be used to automatically copy the latest version of the Thinkwise Windows GUI locally. 

You could also check the debug screen after startup for sluggish database requests or, for example, file not found exceptions.

Thank you Jasper, I will look at that. 

I guess there aren't any general optimizations in Windows. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I guess there aren't any general optimizations in Windows. 

The Thinkwise Windows GUI is just a “regular” .NET application.

There is one option we provide to optimize performance though, and that is to have Thinkwise Clickstart create native images of all DLLs and install them to the local GAC using Ngen. This can be achieved by setting the parameter optimize = true in the clickstart.ini file. However, users will need local administrator rights for this to work.

Thank you Jasper for the addition. However, our users aren't local administrators (and I hope this would be the standard for other companies too).

For now, thank you for your replies.