Solved

Visual indicator for "max. no. of records"?

• 15 January 2024
  • 5 replies

How can I see in Universal that a screen is limiting its result by the “max. no. of records” when applicable?

Some screen we have set a limit for performance reasons, but I cannot seem to find when a screen is limiting my result or that is falls right in the range.

icon

Best answer by Erik Brink 15 February 2024, 13:55

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

We prefer and advice to use the paging mechanism by setting the "Page size” setting on the subject. This limits the loaded data and also gives the user a visual indicator. The advantage is that all records stay available for the user. Filtering to get a clear overview is still an option ofcourse.

Can you bring up a TCP ticket if it is still important to get a virtual indicator after using the "max number of records” setting? 

Note: on a large set of data without these limitation the GUI currently brings on a top-statement of 100 records. We have plans to change this to use paging by default.

@Erwin Ekkel I am quite surprised by this answer. I understand the use of paging, but when a result is limited by manually configuring a “max. no. of records” or the default 100, does this really feel like a situation where you do not want to inform in any way that the screen has a limit?

I would suggest to have a marking when the resultset is equal to the number of “max. no. of records”, so a user has some indication that this might not see all results that he/she tries to filter on.

I could make an idea for this, but I would hope that this is not necessary.

“max. no. of records“ is also used to not have to load all data as it can be loads, but one cannot limit the result yet as the requested filtering is not known (users will filter what they need at the time).

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

We prefer and advice to use the paging mechanism by setting the "Page size” setting on the subject. This limits the loaded data and also gives the user a visual indicator. The advantage is that all records stay available for the user. Filtering to get a clear overview is still an option ofcourse.

Can you bring up a TCP ticket if it is still important to get a virtual indicator after using the "max number of records” setting? 

Note: on a large set of data without these limitation the GUI currently brings on a top-statement of 100 records. We have plans to change this to use paging by default.

I concur with @Mark_Plaggenborg here. In the WIndows GUI and Old Web GUi you get an indicator that you only have access to say a 1000 records..  while a table can have a multitude. 

Pagination is not the full answer if you ask me. This because, as discussed in other topics, it would still require you to load the full dataset as it just returns a defined number of rows of the result. Performance wise you might want to limit the base query result. 

Just to have the clarity here, there are no plans to get on par with the windows GUI as it comes to the left-top visual indicator that you only see a part of all options?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

It is good to hear the practical cases of the "max no of records” setting. 

"… it would still require you to load the full dataset ...”
When using pagination only the data of the current page is requested. We do an extra count request to calculate the number of pages, which is a very light request.

At the moment we are gattering all missing option of the Windows/Web GUI and input from the community about the usage of it helps. 

Currently I didn't found it on the backlog, that is why we requested a TCP ticket for it. That way you will be informed about the planning of it. It is not planned yet for the set for Q1.

Created a TCP ticket: 8717S