Solved

Visual indication in which environment you're working

• 3 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Is there a way to have a visual difference so that it is clear you are working in a test and/or acceptance environment?

During the release process users are often having multiple applications up-and-running. While they are performing tests they may also be doing work in the production environment. Having the same look-and-feel will make it inevitable that production-data is entered in the test-environment or vice versa, resulting in a production-environment with inaccurate data.
By giving, for instance, a different color to menu's and background this could be improved.

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 3 March 2021, 09:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

This idea might be interesting to you:

Currently there is only a pop-up when working in a non-development/non-test project version. 

For the application, in the SF you can create a new theme that is visibly different and you can set the theme in IAM for example.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Mark,

For sure an interesting idea, but in this case I'm not talking about the status of the SF, but of the end application that is in use by the client.

Their production environment will not be using these states. Good to know that in IAM you can assign a different theme, but this requires to create the final theme just before synchronization to IAM. The reason for this is that you can't have theme variants

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Roy,

How would a theme variant be any different from a new theme that is copied from another? I do understand for this part:

Now I have to copy my 'base' theme, which works just fine. But when I want to make a change to something that is identical in all of my themes, I have to manually go through them all.

But how many times will you change parts of a theme? and how many different themes would there be? If there would be a theme per company, that would be a very good reason to have variants. But that would only apply for the Win/Web GUI. Jasper already told the Universal GUI themes will be much easier to manage:

Themes for the Universal GUI will be much simpler than the current themes for Windows and Web. This idea will therefore probably no longer be necessary.

But do feel free to create a new idea for this explaining your case. We will look at it again and decide if it fits the roadmap.