Solved

Startup speed of the Windows GUI (and what triggers a reload of the locally cached items)

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi, 

We are looking for suggestions to speed up a first time startup of the application, this is after the application has been installed locally.

Currently it looks like it has 2 stages, fetching cache items from the server which takes about 1.5 minutes and then I suppose it is doing something magical with that fetched cache which takes about another 1.5 minutes.

When it has done that and we restart the application it only takes like 10 to 20 seconds to startup the application.

What can we do/have you done to speed up the initial startup to gain performance

And what triggers a reload of the locally stored cache?

thanks, Ricky

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 9 July 2021, 11:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Ricky,

From the Devs I hear that the GUI works with the caches that are stored in IAM. Upon opnening the application against IAM (via Indicium or not), the GUI will check the cache and see if anything changed. These caches are made per get_gui so if in IAM a column has changed, it will not affect the get_gui_msg for example. You can invalidate these caches manually through IAM in the Advanced menu.

When working directly via the SF, caches will be written to the projects folder in the cache folder. The GUI will check if any caches are invalid or the model changed and then replace the invalid ones.

There's not really anything you can do about this as the Windows GUI will have to load/write the entire model. The Universal GUI does this differently by utilizing lazy loading, and loading the model along the way. That makes that GUI much quicker in loading.

Does this answer your question(s)?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Yes it sure answers my question - I’m afraid this is going to be an issue for us - I’ll wrap that up in a TMS ticket. 

Thanks for the research and the reply @Mark Jongeling !