Solved

SF On Premise, End Product (runtime configuration) in Azure, how?

• 3 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Currently we have the development environment on a local SQL Server Environment (On Premise). The product is targeting the Azure environment (Azure SQL database & App Service).

For testing purposes I want to be able to attach a project (branch) to an Azure SQL Database. Problem here is that it's kinda mixed mode: The SF-databases uses the Windows Active Directory (AD), whereas the Azure environment uses ‘rdbms’ users.

When I set up the ini file I sort of have the following:

metasource = sf
server = dev-server
database = software_factory
authentication = mswindows
project = branch
language = eng
rdbms = sqlserver
executionmode = developer

Problem here I use mswindows as authentication. But the Azure SQL Server uses ‘rdbms’.

I have a kind of a hack for it; I’ve added the same user/login to the on premise environment with matching name and password. That works, but I would prefer to use different credentials for the Azure environment.

Is there a way to do this? Or should I see if it's possible to bound the Azure environment to our local Active Directory? (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-aad-authentication-configure?tabs=azure-powershell) (If it's possible, not sure)

Or in general, is this the way to do this?

icon

Best answer by Jasper 7 February 2020, 10:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Rene,

If you log in to the Software Factory with Windows authentication and the same credentials cannot be used to log in to the end product, the (Windows) user interface should ask for an additional username and password. Does this not happen in your case?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi Rene,

If you log in to the Software Factory with Windows authentication and the same credentials cannot be used to log in to the end product, the (Windows) user interface should ask for an additional username and password. Does this not happen in your case?

This does not happen, in stead i get a information box containing the following message:

Windows logins are not supported in this version of SQL Server.

The GUI starts, the menu is visible (I assume this is read from the SF database), but none of the subjects can be opened.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The user interface probably expects another error message than the one returned by Azure. Can you please submit a ticket in TCP for this? Thanks.