Solved

Sending mails from Azure hosted Thinkwise.

• 1 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Is it possible to use the Exchange connector on Azure? We have the Thinkwise platform deployed on an Azure instance and want to send mails from this.

Or is it easier to implement the Graph API?

icon

Best answer by mperrott 28 February 2023, 09:18

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Kasper,

Whilst it is possible to enable CLR integration for Azure SQL managed instances (link), I can't really recommend trying to make the Exchange connector work. It most likely also requires a Windows Virtual machine. I haven't tested this out if the Exchange connector can work in an Azure environment.

Best bet is going for the Graph API. We are working on multiple base models that integrate with the Graph API but this is not yet available. I'm not sure at what timeline the base models may appear in the Thinkstore.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks Mark, for now we started using SendGrid which makes it easier for us. I would be very interested in the Graph API connection that would make it even easier and reduces the need of third party software.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks Mark, for now we started using SendGrid which makes it easier for us. I would be very interested in the Graph API connection that would make it even easier and reduces the need of third party software.

We are working on having Email services available in the Software Factory which, in combination with a new process action Email connector, will allow you to use for example SendGrid and without having to resort to HTTP connectors. It will also allow for overridable values of the configured Email services in IAM, just like File storage locations. We currently have been able to implement SMTP, but other providers are planned to be implemented too.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi @Kasper Reijnders,

We in Hartmann are using Graph API for creating Draft emails within our Office application which will go Live soon. We are on Azure and are hosting Applications on App service with Azure SQL as DB.

Apart from that we are already been using SendGrid for the past 2 years for our Mobile application with no issues. We integrated SendGrid with LogicApps to automate the process. 

Graph API works in creating email as Draft or sending etc, basically whatever the Graph Api supports from the email perspective. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/resources/mail-api-overview?view=graph-rest-1.0

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks @mperrott How did you configure the sending of a mail, do the mails get send by some kind of system/app account or do the users use their own mailaddress? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi @Kasper Reijnders ,

We have integrated the O365 login single sign on etc using the Thinkwise OpenID Provider having an App registration in Azure.

We Used the registered App that handles the login giving it additional permissions to be able to send emails with the graph API. The permissions was given on the App and logged in User there is a difference in the Type. Sample below, Note not all permissions are required.

In the Thinkwise App we configured a Task that triggers a process flow so that the app itself logins to the graph API getting authorized for the User pressing the Task and we pass in the arguments for the API to create the email for the User. We have the emails of our users matched to tsf_user. So far we are only creating Draft emails as per our requirements but any of the API’s can be triggered as long as the right permissions are granted on the Registered App.