Solved

Print a report in Universal GUI

• 14 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have a Dev Express report that I directly want to print to a Brother label printer (62x100mm label).

In Windows this works perfectly with the Report action ‘Print’. In the Universal GUI this report opens a new tab in the browser with the report as a preview instead of printing.

So to create a sort of a  workaround I created a process flow with the following actions:
Generate report (report with Report action Save to PDF) → Write file → Print file. 

Process flow

This works if the printer is a normal A4 printer, but on the Brother label printer the printer stops with an error. If I open the PDF that has been created during the flow and I manually print it, it does work. The page settings and margins etc etc in the report are OK.

Maybe Indicium does unexpected things during the Print file-action that the printer cannot handle, but that is very hard to debug.

Does anyone have a better solution to print a report in the Universal GUI?

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 27 February 2023, 09:13

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Patrick,

You mention the printer stops with an error. Do you have more info about the error?

Does the Indicium error log give more information? Or maybe the Windows Event Viewer?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

No error in the Indicium log nor in Event Viewer.

The printer web page shows ‘Error’ and the LED on the printer is blinking red.

As I said, it is very hard to debug this problem :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Patrick,

I'm not sure if Device status = Error is an error caused by Indicium, or that is it caused by the printer itself. Does the printer accept other reports or files without issue?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, that works perfectly.

If I manually print the PDF that Indicium has generated it works also, so it looks like Indicium sends some information or (paper)settings to the printer that he can’t handle.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I don't know who and why someone has marked that answer as the solution, but it still doesn't work.

It works with every application, except when printing via Indicium. I will make a TCP ticket linking to this topic, so they can take a look.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Might have been automatically Best answered Patrick, but having a TCP ticket is a good option. We'll then be able to look at it more closely.