Solved

Print a report in Universal GUI

• 14 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have a Dev Express report that I directly want to print to a Brother label printer (62x100mm label).

In Windows this works perfectly with the Report action ‘Print’. In the Universal GUI this report opens a new tab in the browser with the report as a preview instead of printing.

So to create a sort of a  workaround I created a process flow with the following actions:
Generate report (report with Report action Save to PDF) → Write file → Print file. 

Process flow

This works if the printer is a normal A4 printer, but on the Brother label printer the printer stops with an error. If I open the PDF that has been created during the flow and I manually print it, it does work. The page settings and margins etc etc in the report are OK.

Maybe Indicium does unexpected things during the Print file-action that the printer cannot handle, but that is very hard to debug.

Does anyone have a better solution to print a report in the Universal GUI?

icon

Best answer by Mark Jongeling 27 February 2023, 09:13

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Might have been automatically Best answered Patrick, but having a TCP ticket is a good option. We'll then be able to look at it more closely.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I don't know who and why someone has marked that answer as the solution, but it still doesn't work.

It works with every application, except when printing via Indicium. I will make a TCP ticket linking to this topic, so they can take a look.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, that works perfectly.

If I manually print the PDF that Indicium has generated it works also, so it looks like Indicium sends some information or (paper)settings to the printer that he can’t handle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Patrick,

I'm not sure if Device status = Error is an error caused by Indicium, or that is it caused by the printer itself. Does the printer accept other reports or files without issue?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

No error in the Indicium log nor in Event Viewer.

The printer web page shows ‘Error’ and the LED on the printer is blinking red.

As I said, it is very hard to debug this problem :D

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Patrick,

You mention the printer stops with an error. Do you have more info about the error?

Does the Indicium error log give more information? Or maybe the Windows Event Viewer?