Solved

Migrate users and roles from iam to iam

• 4 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

We have a UAT construction where we have been testing with a client for a while. All users and roles and settings are set here. Now we want to move from UAT to a production server. 

Can I easily export ALL (selected) users and roles/groups for this from my UAT IAM Db to my prod IAM Db? Or do I have to do by hand? 

Or any other thoughts on how to do this with mimimum work.. :) 

Alex 

icon

Best answer by Erwin Ekkel 4 October 2022, 14:21

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Two things come to mind: 

The quickest way is probably to Copy the entire IAM and just rename the application and database name, but this is tricky on a production environment. 
You could also use the build in tasks to copy a user/usergroup. from one db to another. By copying and amending the stored procedure and add dbname.dbo.[table] to the insert statements and run it from SSMS. You must also add the server to do this, or put a temporary copy of the IAM database on production to avoid having to copy between two servers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Alex,

Did Erwin's reply help you out? Feel free to create an idea for the migration of different data between IAM's.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Yes, this will work I guess. In a way. Problem is that moving data between a VM db and an Azure Db is not super easy click-and-go. 

And ‘Export’ function, and ‘Import’ would be a nice-to-have, all in a wizard-like system. 
But we will create a small script for this so we can do this like described. 

Thnx!