Improve start-up speed application

• 24 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

When the application is started for the first time, the reports are stored locally in the "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ThinkwiseSoftware\GUI\GUI\Cache\Images\NIVERPLAST_4.50\Report" folder. With the release of a new GUI, I understand that the system will replace the local GUI folder and it will also take a little longer. However, how can the performance be improved for the daily start-up of the Windows GUI without any changes having taken place. 

For example, is it really necessary that the reports are replaced in the ..\Cache\Images\NIVERPLAST_4.50\Report" folder every time?

First start-up of the application

Isn't it possible to a verify or the application if a report has been modified within a project version and only updates the report then?  

←  Left| First start-up / Start-up when local folder incl. files are already exist | Right → 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Dennis,

I talked with the devs about this but currently we don't have a solution to this. The devs have created an internal ticket to take a look at the possibility to improve the start-up time regarding the loading of reports. 

A snippet out the conversation:

"When opening the GUI for the second time, the GUI will load the report files to compare the bytes (file data) with existing report file, and only would replace the files if this is not equal to each other. However this is still a heavy operation. For now we don’t have a way of making this faster. What we could do is create an internal ticket to take a look at it. We might be able to make the loading of the report files async but because the model is also loaded async, this could be pretty complex.” (rough translation of the conversation)

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Mark,

I understand that there is no immediate hotfix for this, but thanks for taking it seriously and dealing with it internally :bookmark:

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@Mark Jongeling Are there other recommendations to speed up the startup?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mark Jongeling Are there other recommendations to speed up the startup?

Hi Andre,

There may have been some Windows GUI start-up performance improvements over the months. If the latest version does not perform well, I suggest creating a ticket in TCP. We may be able to improve the performance that way.