Solved

IAM login : Login failed for user 'test'

• 21 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have the same problem as in this post, but in another context.

Some info about our application:

• Built for Windows GUI
  • RDMBS: SQL Server 
  • Dozens of customers will use our application (installed at their SQL server)
  • Users are logging in using ‘Windows authentication’
  • We're still on IAM/Indicium 2022.2 (planning to upgrade)
  • Indicium is running as a service process, listening on port 5000

What I want to achieve: 

• users log in with their own name, so IAM application roles and rights can be used
  • users do not need to be known in SQL security;
    so the SQL connection from the IAM application should be handled by either:
    - a service account;
    - or a SQL account;
    - or an application role.

Question 1:
How can I achieve this for the Windows GUI?

Related to this, I created a user with ‘Authentication’ set to ‘IAM', and changed the password.
I started the application using an INI file containing "Authentication = iam”. When starting, the IAM login shows but after entering username and password, the error “Login failed for user ‘test’ “ shows. In  this post the solution is to add the user to SQL security; however this is an IAM user. How to add an IAM user to SQL security? The actual Windows user starting the application is already known in SQL security and has sufficient rights (because: when starting the application with Windows authentication enabled, all works well).

Question 2:
Why do I get this error?

icon

Best answer by Erik Brink 13 December 2023, 15:03

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Wilfred,

On a Windows client directly connecting to the database we can not safely store a pool acount on every client PC. For this features to be used you need our service layer Indicium in between.

Our Universal client works like that by default. It is an option too to connect the Windows clients to a basic version of Indicium (another one as Universal uses). We are working on an internal project to connect the Windows GUI to the "Universal Indicium” too, but that will take a while.

Did you try to start your application through the Universal client already? That sounds like the best option for this case now.

Best regards,
Erik 

Badge

Hi Erik, Thanks!

Did you try to start your application through the Universal client already? T

Yes, that doesn't work. Some GUI features are not supported (yet) by the UC.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

One of our Thinkwise consultant will contact you about this. Let's see what we can do.