Solved

Hidden columns still getting mentioned in select statement debugger

• 27 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello,

I'm encountering an issue with a view that contains approximately 50 records. Strangely, even though about half of these records are marked as hidden in the data model and subject, I've noticed that they still appear in the select statement when I'm using the debugger.

I'm concerned that this unexpected behavior might impact the performance of my application. Why are hidden records showing up in the select statement, and could this be causing a decrease in performance?

icon

Best answer by Anne Buit 27 October 2023, 16:57

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Timothy, I’m assuming you mean the UI is selecting hidden columns?

This behavior is native to the Windows 2-tier GUI. In this architecture, the UI is responsible for calling logic such as Default, Layout and Context logic as well as providing full insert- and update statements when data is modified. Because of this, access to the full records is required.

This can definitely impact performance, mostly when these columns contain a lot of data or when the columns represent complex expression logic. The only way to really work around this in the 2-tier architecture is to create a view instead.

The subsequent generation of user interfaces that uses Indicium no longer requires access to hidden columns. Indicium manages logic calls and performs data manipulation. The UI will not be able to access hidden columns unless they are one of the following:

• Primary key
  • Display column
  • Part of the default sorting
  • Participating in conditional layout
  • Participating in hierarchical grouping for a tree
  • Part of maps data mapping, latitude, longitude or label
  • Part of scheduler start- or end date, resource grouping, activity or tooltip
  • An available cube field
  • A look-up column for another table
  • Subject to be used in a process flow ‘set filters’ or ‘change sort order’

This can already be seen in the Roles screen, where a distinction is made between ‘Hidden’ and ‘Unauthorized’ columns - the latter being unavailable to UI’s using Indicium.