Solved

Different column translation on variant

• 10 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Setting a different translation on a table/subject variant requires checking the Translate column on the Subject>Variant>Settings.

Now that I'm using a variant with different translation, I notice that the column translation actually should be different depending on the variant.

For instance, take a product and an order table with a cross-table order_product. When order_product is linked to order, I put the translation “Product”, while seen from the product side I'll call it “Order”. This on subject/variant level. Let's say I have a column number_of_product. From the direction or order this indicates the number of this particular product. Translation could be “Aantal”. From the direction of product I want a different translation to indicate that this column says something about product and not order, such as "Aantal van product”.

How do I create a different translation for a column, depending on the variant that is shown?

icon

Best answer by Erwin Ekkel 10 June 2021, 09:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

There are 2 ways to achieve this: create a view instead of a table variant and give the column a different name so you get a different translation object.
Or make an expression column that shows the value of the column you want to translate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Erwin so quick :wink: but right

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thanks Erwin (and Mark),

Both options are not ideal, but am sure will achieve the desired result.

What do you think is the chance that putting in an idea would actually be implemented?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks Erwin (and Mark),

Both options are not ideal, but am sure will achieve the desired result.

What do you think is the chance that putting in an idea would actually be implemented?

Putting in the idea is always possible, chance of this getting implemented is currently not quite big although if you gather a lot of votes, we'll take a good look at it sooner.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

I have posted an idea like this which is now on the backlog. I'm not quite sure it also involves table variants. This was mainly focused on having different translation objects for duplicate column names across several tables. I think it would be best to create a new wish for the table variants column translation objects and refer to this wish.