Solved

Check constraint comparing values from multiple rows

• 25 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

We have a requirement for which we need to ensure that in a set of rows at least one of the rows does not have an end-date. In below example it should not be allowed to add an end-date to test=3.

@Robert Jan de Nie Is it possible to use check constraints to prevent this?

icon

Best answer by Robert Jan de Nie 25 March 2022, 15:31

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Technically I think you could implement that in a constraint using a function. Downside however is that this is not properly supported by the Software Factory. It will lead to this function not being able to be modified without dropping the table / constraint that is being used.

What I’d do is implement this in a trigger. The update-trigger could look something like this:

if exists (select * 
from inserted i
join deleted d
on d.vessel_pk = i.vessel_pk
where d.end_date is null --check if there is a situation where there was no end-date
and i.end_date is not null --and this end-date has been updated to a non-empty value
and not exists (select * --where there are currently no non-end-dated vessels left of that perticular vessel_id
from vessel v
where v.vessel_id = i.vessel_id
and v.end_date is null
)
)
begin
exec tsf_send_message at_least_one_vessel_should_have_no_end_date, null, 1
end

Equally, you need to implement a trigger on the delete event in order to prevent a user deleting the last vessel record without an end-date.

Hope this makes sense?

(edit: sorry for the messed up layout of the SQL, paste it into Management Studio in order to have propper syntax highlighting)

Userlevel 1
Badge

This certainly makes sense. Thanks Robert!