Windows Security Update (KB5035853) errors

• 25 March 2024
  • 6 replies
Windows Security Update (KB5035853) errors
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi everyone,

The latest Windows security update (KB5035853) has been linked to instances of Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors for Windows 11 users. These errors can also occur when using the Thinkwise Windows GUI.

More information here: Windows 11 Update Causing Serious Problems For Millions Of PC Users (forbes.com)

For users who have not yet installed the update (KB5035853), it is recommended to postpone the installation until Microsoft releases a possible fix. For users currently experiencing BSOD errors or Thinkwise application issues after installing the update, we recommend uninstalling the update using standard Windows update uninstall procedures.

Microsoft has acknowledged that it is investigating these issues and is expected to provide a fix in the near future.

6 replies

Userlevel 2

I uninstalled the update myself, so the tip below wasn't tested.

A developer in one of the teams I work with stated that, for him, the problem was solved after reinstalling the .NET Framework. In his case, he also upgraded from .NET 7 to 8. Hope this helpes! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Within our organization, the blue screen problem (possibly based on the KB5035853 update) seems to be increasing. Is there already a solution in mind besides stopping the Windows update. If there is no good fix yet, what is a good source to monitor progress?

The advice that Mark gave by reinstalling .NET seems to look promising so far. In my case it stopped after installing the .NET 6 and 8, both the SDK version.

I had done the Runtime only at fist, but that seemed to only make the issue a guarantee when closing the Windows GUI. Afterwards with the SDK it is gone so far and have closed the Windows GUI on several occasions without a BSOD.

@Mark_Plaggenborg This seemed to have helped until yesterday, one of our users didn't have any BSOD from the 15th of april. Yesterday another BSOD

!--startfragment>

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1PROCESS_NAME:  TSF_dotNET.exe

!--endfragment>

@jurrejanssens Thanks for informing this might not be a permanent fix. Any idea what update may have happened that it started giving issues again? That way we can keep an eye out and perhaps delay this update for the time being.

I've checked what updates were installed on the machine. 

But the last ones were installed on the 19th.

The BSOD should have happened sooner if it were triggered by any of these updates. Possibly the CU .net update (KB5036620)