Universal GUI zoom too large

Related products: Universal GUI

The default Zoom/Sizing of the Universal GUI is too large in Chrome/Edge browser on Windows 10. We now have to recommend our End users to use the browser zoom option and set it to 80% to have much better overview...

Could this by default please be reduced? If not by default, we then at least need an option to set another default sizing in our environment.

Hi Arie V,

There are several ideas on our backlog for changing, for example, the font size, zoom level and the size of the margins in the Universal GUI. We will be working on this in the course of next year.

Hi Arie V,

There are several ideas on our backlog for changing, for example, the font size, zoom level and the size of the margins in the Universal GUI. We will be working on this in the course of next year.

Good to hear that it's on the backlog and that multiple alternatives are considered, flexibility is always great! I assume you are also considering grid density options (like the Standard / Comfortable / Compact options in Gmail) for example.

Nevertheless reducing zoom from 100% to 80% in current Chrome and Edge browsers on Windows 10 devices does ‘the magic’ for quite some of our users. If there is a quickfix you can do here to change the Universal Zoom default or to offer us a workaround to get this defaulted to the 80% we would be really glad! Especially with all the Corona (working from home on smaller screens situation) I would really applaud something offered in a 2020 sprint. 

And if you zoom to 80% the mouse over text in a grid is not sharp anymore.

Shouldn't the zoom setting be part of user preferences?

@Jasper I would like to highlight this Idea once more. I know that introducing a Compact mode is on the Universal Planning for the second half of this year, which is 1 good step forward but also too little and too late. It really is stupid to have to tell each end user to set browser zoom to 80% as a first step in using the Universal GUI comfortably on their Windows laptops. A good User Experience is crucial for perceived quality and usefulness of your GUI and new users accessing the application with the standard zoom level for the first time is like starting with a 0-1 score.

• I happened to notice that the Universal GUI displays differently on Google Chrome on a Chromebook versus a Windows laptop (like most of our users are using) while screen resolution was the same. I believe this is due to the fact that Chromium based browsers do detect and use the Windows scaling setting which is often by default 125% on Windows devices. It seems both wise and a simple quick fix to build in an override

Next, I would like to add a few remarks on your current Material Design choices, as I don't believe they properly meet Enterprise Application's context of required data density. These changes could imply a bit more rework:

• Comparing Universal GUI to Material Design standards and Google's application of that standard I believe Gmail is a good example of how Google alters their standard for larger amounts of data:
    • For the Standard layout Google doesn't even stick to the Material Design standards. Some examples of their deviations:

• Grid Header: 48px height instead of your (and recommended) 56px

• Grid Row: 40px height instead of your 48px or the recommended 52px

• Left navigation collapsible element: 40px height instead of your 52px

• Left navigation elements: 32px height instead of your 44px

• Font size: 0.875rem resulting in the default of 16 font size of Google Chrome being displayed as 14 font size on the Gmail website → I strongly suggest you add a similar resizing setting

• For the Compact layout they do two simple changes:
      • Reduce the Grid Row to a (much more usable) 28px height, simply by updating their top/bottom Padding setting from 10px to 4px
      • Reduce the Left navigation element to 24px height, by updating their top/bottom Padding setting from 12px to 8px
  • I think Compact could actually become the default setting for Enterprise Applications, but allowing your customers (developers in SF settings) or my end users (User Preferences) to select their own preference is fine too of course.
  • An additional suggestion (although I can't oversee the disadvantages): it might be interesting to introduce a relative Line height to, instead of the fixed px based current line height settings. See some interesting articles here and here. Now changing the default Font size in my browser does little useful.

Update: compact/comfortable mode is released now in our Universal GUI in release 2021.2.16. The upcoming 2021.3.10 and 2021.3.11 releases will contain some more minor improvements, like a more compact toolbar and scheduler. We also planned a lot of styling improvements. 

Setting the row height in the grid is still on our backlog.

Please let us know your findings.

Regards, Erik

To me the new default GUI behavior is a great step forward! It certainly solves the original issue of the default Zoom being too large. 

I look forward to a more compact Grid and hope that'll suffice the most important needs regarding a Compact Mode from our perspective.

Thanks for your clarification. A more compact grid got our attention still. 

We will close this idea now.

Updated idea statusOpenCompleted