Informing users (using Windows GUI / Indicium) of maintenance time

Related products: Windows GUI Intelligent Application Manager Universal GUI

I want to inform my users of my Thinkwise application there will be downtime because of maintenance. We are using the Windows GUI in combination with Indicium.

Suggestion made by Erik Brink - We could think of requesting this information before login from Indicium possibly.

(See discussion: https://community.thinkwisesoftware.com/deployment-12/announcing-maintenance-downtime-to-users-1096?postid=3184#post3184)

I like this idea, but then also for the Web GUI. I assume this should be part of the ‘complete’ solution?

We’re also using the Universal GUI. Is it possible to add there as well a maintenance message? (Or is that a different Idea?)

Hi René W,

We have a User story for this idea. When we will put this on the backlog we will keep in mind that it should work for the Universal GUI aswell as the Win/Web GUI. No need to create another idea for this :wink:

Updated idea status OpenOn the backlog

Some thoughts on this idea:

Indicium does not currently offer publicly accessible services, required to load information from the Intelligent Application Manager before the user has logged in. Messages that should be shown on the login screen can therefore not be retrieved from the model. Also, we do not know for which application(s) a user is authorized before he or she has logged in. There is no point in showing a notification for an application that the user doesn't have access to.

However, providing public services in Indicium to solve this problem, also for example for loading translations for the login dialog, is on our backlog.

In the meantime, it is possible to manually add a notification to the login screen, as described in this blog post: 

Customizing the Universal GUI using CSS | Thinkwise Community (thinkwisesoftware.com)

Alternatively, we could also choose to display this notification after logging in, for example as a notification message. Would you consider that a workable solution?

FYI: in case you can live with displaying information after login, you could also use a Task as Start Object which would work across all mentioned GUIs. We use a customized and simplified version of the solution discussed here in our Universal GUI: 

Hi Eric,

Does the implementation mentioned here cover your idea as well?: IAM Emailing functionality | Thinkwise Community (thinkwisesoftware.com)

Using email notifications, you will be able to inform all users of your application about any planned maintenance.

Hello Mark,

I started a discussion in my organisation, about this functionality.

Thanks, for the information.

Eric