Automatic data conversion on rename of column

Related products: Software Factory

When renaming a column the column is treated as a new column. Meaning it will get the default value and not the old value of the previous column. To make the rename complete you have to also setup the data conversion to the old column. Please make the data conversion automatic (set the old column) on a rename since this is the expected behavior of a rename action. 

I also believe that when you specifically use the rename column task, it should also set up a data conversion for that column.

I just realize I had the same problem.

For me the problem occurred when I created a new project version and did not generate the definitions.
When I created the project version and renamed a column, then generated the definition it did not create a correct record in the data conversion.
But when I created a new project version and then generate the definition before renaming the column it seemed to work.

Could you verify this?

I just realize I had the same problem.

For me the problem occurred when I created a new project version and did not generate the definitions.
When I created the project version and renamed a column, then generated the definition it did not create a correct record in the data conversion.
But when I created a new project version and then generate the definition before renaming the column it seemed to work.

Could you verify this?

Robert this is correct. I guess this would make this a bug instead of a wish.

Hi Erwin,

Please report a bug for this if you haven't done so already. I will close this idea.

Is this still an issue? Sometimes I have this issue. Can’t really pinpoint when. 

Is this still an issue? Sometimes I have this issue. Can’t really pinpoint when. 

When you do not generate the definition after going to a new project version, the Software Factory fails to add Data conversion data when renaming objects. So, to avoid this, please generate definitions after creating a new project version.

There is an issue if you rename both the table and column within that same table. I reported this for the development team to investigate. 

When you do not generate the definition after going to a new project version, the Software Factory fails to add Data conversion data when renaming objects. So, to avoid this, please generate definitions after creating a new project version.

Why does a user have to do this, if it is a given that this needs to happen, why not just schedule one in the background?

Why does a user have to do this, if it is a given that this needs to happen, why not just schedule one in the background?

Well, from the 2022.2, it will 😉

At the end of the copy project version task, a Generate Definition will be automatically scheduled.

Well, from the 2022.2, it will 😉

At the end of the copy project version task, a Generate Definition will be automatically scheduled.

I love it when I propose something and you guys have already thought of it. <3