Ability to create conceptual data models

Related products: Software Factory Windows GUI Universal GUI

Currently I'm working on a project for which I need to make a generic import module/environment. This is very complex and costs a lot of time to make, and it is highly possible that tables and columns need to be changed during the creation of it. I have to resort to paper or a whiteboard, since I don't have a tool to make a quick and simple data model. Because I use paper and or a whiteboard, after designing a conceptual data model on it, I have to then make a picture of it with my phone to share the idea with my colleagues. Then if someone says something should change, I have to recreate it again, this time with the changes.

Making a data model in the Software Factory is quite quick if you know how it should look, but if I have to recreate it, change it and/or add tables, add references between tables, add domains and so on, it can be quite time-consuming. Also the possibility of unused domains will increase; read more work to delete everything related to a deleted column.

So what my idea is, is to make a conceptual data model. Just a plain simple view of a model with boxes as tables, text lines in the boxes as columns and reference lines between the boxes to show references. This could then be used in Design specifications to show (visibly) how tables are in relation to each other. Also a picture tells more (in a shorter amount of time) about what the model will look like.

Let me know how you think about it! 😁
That's what Visio is for Mark ;)

But I think what you would like to have is a data modeler that is more optimized towards changes. Right now it's good for creation, but completely changing a model on the fly is just not that convenient. It doesn't have the prototyping feel that software like the SF would benefit from
That's what Visio is for Mark ;)

But I think what you would like to have is a data modeler that is more optimized towards changes. Right now it's good for creation, but completely changing a model on the fly is just not that convenient. It doesn't have the prototyping feel that software like the SF would benefit from

I understand you mention Visio, it's indeed a great tool. Sadly it's not available for everybody nor inside the Office 365 package or Office [year] Business package meaning businesses need to buy this separately. Not all businessess would buy licenses for Visio just for this.

Why I like the idea to be implemented in the SF is because it encourages designing your data model beforehand and it makes you be able to share your data model concept with your colleagues and partner(s). It can also help a lot with making the final data model more efficient and well-thought through.

That's what Visio is for Mark ;)Why I like the idea to be implemented in the SF is because it [...helps...] with making the final data model more efficient and well-thought through.

Besides that: the versions of the SF I have access to, do not yet support importing Visio models. So after struggling with Visio, it is still a manual task to copy the model to the SF.