Default 'Merge from:' to active branch

Related products: Software Factory

Almost always you’re going to merge you’re active branch. However currently I need to select that branch from a dropdown, it would save time and effort if my current active branch would be defaulted so I do not need to select it. 

Hi @HarryA,

Thank you for your contribution, which has led to an improvement in the Software Factory.

From the 2023.2 version we will initially only display active branches that are marked as 'My branches'. To provide an example, this reduces the list from 10 to 2 branches in my own situation. This can make it a lot easier to quickly choose the correct branch to merge from. Should you want to merge from another branch, you can always disable the prefilter 'My branches' in the look-up popup.

Additional information:

We understand that this is not completely in line with your original idea. We think it is important that the choice of where you want to merge from is a conscious choice. In our experience, it is otherwise quickly forgotten to adjust the value when it is incorrect. Therefore, we decided not to fill the active branch by default.

Jeroen

Hi @Jeroen van den Belt,

Although I agree that being aware from what branch you’re going to merge is important, I do not think it therefore should be kept empty. Because it’s such an important part of the process you always check where you’re merging from. But it’s very cumbersome to select the right one when we can 95/100 times guess which one should be selected. Furthermore, if I recall correctly, in the old SF the merge from branch was also defaulted. So I do not see why that has to change. 

So I do not think this solution covers the problem as a whole.

Hi @HarryA,

Although we had our arguments for the current implementation, we also understand your arguments well. We're going to re-evaluate the solution and I’ll make sure we’ll get back to you.

Hi @HarryA,

We re-evaluated the solution and decided to implement your original idea after all. In the 2023.2, the active branch will be filled by default in the ‘Merge from’ field.

We also maintained the idea of a shortened list to choose from, only displaying the active branches that are marked as 'My branches'.  We were able to made 2 extra improvements to this idea:

• The shortened list is not only applied to the ‘Merge from’ field anymore, but also to the ‘Merge into’ field.
  • The shortened list now also includes the origin for the active branches that are marked as 'My branches'.
    • In almost all cases you want to merge back to the origin, making it desirable to always show this version. There is a very good chance that such an origin version is already marked as ‘My branches’, in which case it has no additional effect on the list.

@Jeroen van den Belt Great, thank for the re-evaluating. Looking forward to 2023.2 :)

Next releaseCompleted