Placeholder text on fields

Related products: Software Factory Windows GUI Universal GUI

Currently we as developers can only force the users to put in characters in a certain way. Sadly the user might not know how to correctly put in values so we have to resort to either messages, column translations or other methods to show him or her what and how to put the value in.

What I would like to be able to do is set an placeholder text on fields so the user can 1. see what needs to be entered and 2. how to put it in.

See:

Agreed, everyone (at least every website) has this nowadays

I see the label “universal gui”, is this how I can see what the targeting UI is when it's put on the backlog?

I see the label “universal gui”, is this how I can see what the targeting UI is when it's put on the backlog?

It's a tag I have added because I would like to see this in the Universal GUI. If it's also added for the Windows/Web/Mobile GUI it would be great too.

@Jasper , Could you answer René his question?

It looks fancy, but I was filling in a form yesterday that had this placeholder instead of labels. In the end, I was checking my answers and could not find the question I was answering because the placeholder was filled in. So, not sure if I am a fan of this. 

It looks fancy, but I was filling in a form yesterday that had this placeholder instead of labels. In the end, I was checking my answers and could not find the question I was answering because the placeholder was filled in. So, not sure if I am a fan of this. 

Placeholder text may not be as useful as having a label but if used both it can benefit the experience. One example may be a phone number entry where the label says 'Phone number’ and the Placeholder says 'f.e. +31612345678

There are probably dozens of other uses that we are currently not thinking of, but seeing the amount of votes others would love to use it

Great example with the phone numbers. You convinced me that it could be very useful in that way.