Password control with 'Show password' button

• 20 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I'm missing this button in the GUI when I’m using a password field:

Show password button

I only see this:

Can this 'Show password’ button be added? Else there is a possibility that I put in a wrong value.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

The password field is mainly used to hide the password in the data for viewers and to insert a password without others seeing what you input was.

The password you type into a login page has a very short lifetime and will not be persisted.

Why would you like to use a password field and give every viewer of the persisted data the possibility to lookup the value in the password field? The usage of the password control does not have a added value this way, right?

Regards,
Erik

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The password field is mainly used to hide the password in the data for viewers and to insert a password without others seeing what you input was.

The password you type into a login page has a very short lifetime and will not be persisted.

Why would you like to use a password field and give every viewer of the persisted data the possibility to lookup the value in the password field? The usage of the password control does not have a added value this way, right?

Regards,
Erik

There you have a point, I understand that maybe when editing a record you wouldn’t want to be able to show the value of a Password field. But upon inserting it could be a handy way to check the input. I'm not sure if that is possible though.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It would be nice to be able to switch to the visible password when in edit mode I think?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

We’ll take this into account for the Universal GUI.