Hotfix from the SF

Related products: Software Factory Community

Hotfixes for the Thinkwise Platform are released on regular basis. Now, I have to subscribe to the updates and releases subforum at the community to be notified.

I'd like to be able to get notified about hotfixes and execute them from within the SF. In the current situation I have to open TCP, download the Deployment Center application for the hotfixes, and execute them. It would improve the developer experience if this gets easier.
As customer I also totally agree! I can give you a recent example:

Today I tried to copy an IAM user. The following error was given.

When I looked into the stored procedure (task_copy_usr) and entity (usr_pref_tab_prefilter_col) in the IAM database I found the reason. When a user add a prefilter the IAM is creating a few records in the detailtab "User prefrences". By using the task in IAM to copy a user it's trying to copy the user preferences as well. By inserting a varchar-value into a int column the task fails.

After my research I wrote a new topic and found out that there still is a hotfix for this specific problem.

🔥 Hotfix - SF 2019.1 - get_gui_tab_variant_col performance

Updates and Releases

Now I first need to download and execute the Hotfix(es).

@Jop ter Horst @Anne Buit In line with the Creation and Automation ambitions of the Thinkwise Platform: would it be a good idea to broaden the scope of this Idea a little?

• I would also want to receive Notifications for new versions of Indicium and GUIs
  • I would want to be able to subscribe to a Notification API from TCP
  • I would like to be able to download the new files through an API call from TCP

This will then enable us to do a much more automated deploy of new Indicium/Universal versions and Hotfixes!

Given the fact that TCP is based on the Thinkwise Platform, I would assume this shouldn't have to be too difficult. Any plans to deliver this in the near future?

In the 2022.2, we plan to focus on the notifications for hotfixes. These are currently the only concrete plans we have regarding this wish. For this part goes: On the backlog→Planned.

After this, we will examine what the most appropriate next steps could be.

For 2022.2, we plan to notify developers using the Software Factory and administrators of the Intelligent Application Manager when a new hotfix is available.

Notifications about new versions of runtime components and providing an API to download and install hotfixes or new runtime components is not within scope for 2022.2. Features like this are not related to major platform releases but are instead handled by our devops team.

Notifications about new versions of runtime components and providing an API to download and install hotfixes or new runtime components is not within scope for 2022.2. Features like this are not related to major platform releases but are instead handled by our devops team.

@Anne Buit Alright, would it help to raise a separate Idea for this part?

Installing new hotfixes directly from the SF will not yet be supported but was originally raised with this idea. Since it’s a two-parter, we’ll create a follow-up idea for this one for downloading and installing when we provide the notifications. This will automatically introduce an API for downloading hotfixes.

Having Thinkwise provide an API for downloading new versions of runtime components would be a great separate idea.

Separate Idea created: 

Updated idea statusPlanned→Working on it!

In the 2022.2 release, developers using the Software Factory and administrators of Intelligent Application Manager will be notified when a new hotfix is available.

Updated idea statusWorking on it!→Next release

Updated idea statusNext release→Completed