Deprecated flag on tables and columns

Related products: Software Factory

I would like to:

• ...be able to mark individual tables and individual columns as deprecated;
  • ...be able to switch the visibility of deprecated tables and columns on and off in the table design view;
  • ...get warnings on using deprecated tables and/or columns during the validation step of the creation proces

Hey, 

This sounds like a very technical wish. Why would you want to do this? Which problems will this solve? When do you mark a table “deprecated” and when do you remove it (the deprecated table)?

I could try and think of some reasons, but I would rather read the real reasons for you guys. 

Hello Ester,

You are right. This is a technical wish. For example: Right now we’re developing a new article structure. The new article structure uses some of the old tables and some of the old columns, but not all of them. But the old structure is still needed untill we’re sure everything is correctly converted. 

Some developers have a working knowledge of the new and old structure. But others don’t. So the administration of the tables and columns that need to be removed in the future is done somewhere else. I would like to have this administration in the SF itself.

Besides that, it’s also a bit more difficult to get a good impression of the desired structure in the design view when there’s no distinction between the columns that need to stay and the columns that need to be removed in the future.

Hope this helps!

Nathan

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for your explanation. I see lots of people voted for this, so that helps a lot with getting this on the backlog.

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for posting this idea. I see you already gathered quite a few votes! Now I was just wondering...

I can imagine that more situations like this are conceivable, for example an indication of whether a table is still under development. Then the question is to what extent we formalise all these possibilities, or we provide a generic concept that can be used by everyone for these kind of situations.

With this generic concept I am referring to the tags that we already supply in the Software Factory. Would it be an option to use them for this purpose? You could then use the Dynamic model to find the objects based on these tags and modify aspects of the model. Validations or stored procedures (assigned by SQL) can also be based on these tags very well.

Jeroen

The generic concept works, but it doesn’t affect the design view.