Changing prefilters in context

Related products: Software Factory Windows GUI

I have had a few occassions in which it would be helpful to be able to manipulate prefilters / look-up settings.

For example, I have a view which shows relationships of a selected relation. In the first column you have to select the kind of relationship, for example ‘employee’ or ‘competitor’. The second column is meant to select the relation. In this case, the relation look-up always shows all relations, which makes it possible to select a company as an employee and a person as a competitor.

This could be solved if there was a possibility to change the prefilters depending on the context.

Another possibility to solve this would be to be able to change look-up references: changing look-up table variant depending on the context.

Hi jjong,

Thanks for submitting your idea. 

The Thinkwise Platform allows the creation of so-called filtered lookup references. In your case, when you include both the kind of relationship and the actual relation colum in the reference, the lookup will only show the relations of the selected type.

Would that solve your problem?

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for your reply! This is exactly how I solved this problem. Still it would be nice to be able to change the prefilter state based on context. In this case for example there is still a prefilter visible to filter on ‘comapanies’ eventhough there are no companies and the other way around.

Wouldn't it be simpler and more straightforward for the user to create a variant for the lookup in which the prefilters are disabled and hidden?

Hi Jasper, you are right, that would be a simple solution if the situation is always the same. But as described above, in this case, sometimes there are only relations visible which are companies, sometimes there are only relations visible which are persons. Both cases require different prefilters. I would like to change the prefilter state based on the situation.

But why do you need prefilters at all if the lookup is filtered by the reference already? Can you give a specific example?

Updated idea status Needs feedbackClosed