Solved

Windows GUI on Microsoft RDS Server

• 22 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

We use a VDI solution for remote workers and need to know if we can move to a solution using Microsoft RDS servers with remote desktops or remote apps.

Does anyone have experience running the SoftwareFactory Windows client on such a system?

According to the documentation this is supported and “Depending on the amount of data and the use of the application the Windows GUI requires between 30 and 100 megabytes (MB) RAM memory per user.”.

If you have experience in running the Windows GUI on RDS how many concurrent users can you run on each server and do you have any issues with memory, USER object or GUI object usage?

icon

Best answer by Ricky 25 January 2020, 12:50

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi John,

For a client I work on their project and they also have RDS (Remote Desktop Services) servers running on Windows 2012 R2. The client configured RDS servers to have 2 concurrent users per RDS and they share 6GB RAM together.

For end users, this certainly is enough to work with since the Software Factory via Windows GUI indeed only uses about 100-300MB RAM. Intensive use of the Software Factory can cause it to raise to 1GB.

Every user has his own Windows GUI application running and are logged in into their own account and has no problems at all.

Hope the helps!

Kind regards,
Mark Jongeling

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi John,

For a client I work on their project and they also have RDS (Remote Desktop Services) servers running on Windows 2012 R2. The client configured RDS servers to have 2 concurrent users per RDS and they share 6GB RAM together.

For end users, this certainly is enough to work with since the Software Factory via Windows GUI indeed only uses about 100-300MB RAM. Intensive use of the Software Factory can cause it to raise to 1GB.

Every user has his own Windows GUI application running and are logged in into their own account and has no problems at all.

Hope the helps!

Kind regards,
Mark Jongeling

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your answer. Is there a reason your client only has 2 concurrent users per server? I would expect to be able to serve at least 10 users per server.

Kind regards,
John Sangers

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your answer. Is there a reason your client only has 2 concurrent users per server? I would expect to be able to serve at least 10 users per server.

Kind regards,
John Sangers

Hi John,

Our client only set up these RDS for demo's and external developers like myself, and together with the 6GB RAM I do think they limited the amount of concurrent users to 2 to prevent RAM issues. I do think if every user had 2-4GBs to work with it would be enough for them. If only the Software Factory and the end product would be run on it, then 2GB should be enough I think but don't pin me on this.

So I think in your situation, for 10 people I recommend a healthy amount of RAM and of course enough processing power to ensure the users have a smooth experience. But I do hope other Community users can add on this with their experiences.

Kind regards,
Mark Jongeling

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi John,

I'm am working on a project where there are 6 developers on one server and the bottleneck is our 16 GB RAM.

So if you have around 6 developers, make sure you have more than 16 GB RAM.

Kind regards, 

Guy

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Mark,

Kind regards,
John Sangers

Hi John,

Our client only set up these RDS for demo's and external developers like myself, and together with the 6GB RAM I do think they limited the amount of concurrent users to 2 to prevent RAM issues. I do think if every user had 2-4GBs to work with it would be enough for them. If only the Software Factory and the end product would be run on it, then 2GB should be enough I think but don't pin me on this.

So I think in your situation, for 10 people I recommend a healthy amount of RAM and of course enough processing power to ensure the users have a smooth experience. But I do hope other Community users can add on this with their experiences.

Kind regards,
Mark Jongeling

The limit of 2 users is actually to bypass the maintenance of a RDS license server. (Windows 10 allow 2 RDS users by default)

Since all these machines are virtualized  it's easier to manage multiple (client windows 10) VM's that you can throw away at any time. It also is easier to isolate stuff for debugging purposes etc.

If I remember correctly all those clients run on a small server with about 1TB of ram and lots of cores.

Depending on how much data you'd like to show in your screens/subjects at once - I've seen the memory usage of the tsf_dotnet client grow up to 4GB on my laptop. But to be honest I don't think that was ever really the intention of the developer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Mark, Guy and Ricky,

Thank you for your answers. We want to use the RDS server for end-users working from our office in the USA or from home, not for developers.

@gariens if you have 6 developers on 1 server with 16Gb of memory and this works fine then probably USER- or GDI -object limitations are not in place, can you confirm that?

Is there anybody here who uses RDS for end-users?

Kind regards,

John.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Mark, Guy and Ricky,

Thank you for your answers. We want to use the RDS server for end-users working from our office in the USA or from home, not for developers.

@gariens if you have 6 developers on 1 server with 16Gb of memory and this works fine then probably USER- or GDI -object limitations are not in place, can you confirm that?

Is there anybody here who uses RDS for end-users?

Kind regards,

John.

Hi John,

That is true. 

For end users I have seen a setup of 15-20 end users per RDS, However I do not know the exact hardware configuration of the RDS environment. But I think it is pretty standard.

Kind regards,

Guy