Solved

What does "Open the table empty and show the filter screen"?

• 12 March 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Under user preferences > Subject configuration there's a checkbox:

It's not really documented for end users, but I found something similar I think it should do: https://docs.thinkwisesoftware.com/docs/sf/subjects.html#start-empty-with-filter

If I have the checkbox above checked, it doesn't what I expect it should do: After opening the subject via the menu, it should immediate open the ‘Filter’ dialog (as described here).

If I check the box in the subject, it does show an filter.

icon

Best answer by Erik Brink 13 March 2020, 11:08

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Do you have any columns set up as Extended in the combined filter (subject - data - filter)? If so try a subject that only has visible for filter: always. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

No, there aren't any columns defined as “Extended”. There are 2 columns with “In combined filter” checked and all have the value “Always” for “Visible for filter”. I would expect that having at least 1 column having the value “Always” should be sufficient, extended is only used for the toggle.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Can you check the following: do you have multiple columns with the same column filter order no? For me it does not work when this has the same number.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Can you check the following: do you have multiple columns with the same column filter order no? For me it does not work when this has the same number.

I've checked multiple subjects, but all their ‘Filter order no.’ values in Subject > Data > Filter are unique. Please note I'm using the web interface.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I don't understand why this shouldn't work at your side. I tested it in your TCP Web interface and it worked fine there.

How does the checkbox comes up if you leave it checked → sign off the user → login again → and check the settings dialog again?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I don't understand why this shouldn't work at your side. I tested it in your TCP Web interface and it worked fine there.

How does the checkbox comes up if you leave it checked → sign off the user → login again → and check the settings dialog again?

I've tried it also with logging off / in, but that doesn't affect a thing. What I do see it does filter data, as nothing is shown when this check is enabled and the subject is opened, where there should be data. I'm running also the same 2020.1.12 as In the TCP I have the same issue. I've also tested it on Firefox to be sure, but that doesn't work either.

See this video: After enabling the checkbox it shows an empty screen, but the focus is on the top search box. If I do the same in the SF (windows) in for example “Domains”, the domains are still visible but also the focus is set to the search box. But it doesn't match the description “Show the filter screen”

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

As documented in our docs you mentioned. When the "combined” filter is within the document, you should use that one to filter the subject first.

So what happens in your video is expected behaviour. 

So, whats left? Do you like us to change the translation to declare not only a filter dialog could be expected?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

As documented in our docs you mentioned. When the "combined” filter is within the document, you should use that one to filter the subject first.

So what happens in your video is expected behaviour. 

So, whats left? Do you like us to change the translation to declare not only a filter dialog could be expected?

I think the translation indeed should be changed, because it does something else than expected. Maybe is ‘focus’ a better word? A suggestion could be:

Open the subject empty and focus to the combined filter bar

Although I expect it should not be implemented in future releases regarding the universal GUI as there is asynchronous loading, which should not affect the user experience at all.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

It could be both the filter dialog or the combined filter, dependent on whats available in the document and the screentype User Preference applied by the user.

I agree it could be a little confusing now.