Solved

Use printers in model (2)

• 6 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

hi,

In a previous topic 

I described our need to be able to print pdf’s or other documents in our db from the windows client. Since 2022.2 there is a new procesaction Print file (PDF) for this, where you have to set the specific printer in the system flow:

We want our users to be able to select which printer to use for specific prints (like pdf’s for printer A, zebra labels for printer B), but this setting is not a fitted for a process variable, it’s fixed. Is there another way to solve this (without creating an application for every user/printer combination)?

icon

Best answer by Vincent Doppenberg 6 September 2022, 17:34

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Tejo,

There is currently no way to configure the printer that is used by a specific Print File process action at runtime, However, if the number of printers is limited (and fixed), it is actually very easy to implement this yourself, like this:

The process procedure of the preceding process action can be used to determine which of the Print File process actions is used. If there is some kind user-printer mapping in the database, then you could use a Decision process action for this with a query in the process procedure. If users can choose out of several printers from the GUI, then you could use a Start (table) task process action and base the printer on a task parameter.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Vincent,

That is an interesting approach :-) so create like 10 printers in the model, and based on the name they can be linked to our user-linked-printers in the database, and with that info the decision can choose the correct model printer. And when deployed, set the actual printer address in IAM.

It’s a workaround i’m gonna try, still the variable option would be preferred. Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Added this in idea’s