Solved

Universal GUI - Reporting options?

• 7 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

I'm helping a customer migrating from Windows GUI on 2018.x to Universal on 2022+

They are super happy with the looks of the new platform, but are held back by their reports in Crystal Reports.

I am compiling a list of alternatives for them with their pros and cons. We have access to at least eight options in the SF, but documentation seems lacking on which options are (explicitly) compatible with Universal/Indicium.

Of Devexpress and Inet Reports I know that they can import Crystal Reports report definitions, which is of benefit of course.

Are there easy migration paths for the other reporting options? Which are supported in Universal/Indicium? Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!

icon

Best answer by Dick van den Brink 7 February 2023, 11:58

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Crystal Reports should also work in Indicium (and because of that also in Universal).

But it won't work when using for instance an Azure Web App.

To answer your question better, where will you be hosting? On-premise or on a cloud platform?

If you are hosting on-premise, it might also be possible to migrate to Universal and migrate the reports one by one if desired.

Hi Dick,

Thanks for your quick response!

Great to hear Indicium is not a show stopper per se for Crystal Reports: they run on-prem.

Universal will still call the user’s local runtime when requesting a report to be generated in that case?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Boudewijn,

It won't use the users local runtime. The runtime must be installed on the web server hosting Indicium.

Will do, thanks!

Update and concluding:

• It works as advertised
  • Do install a local printer, even if only ‘Print to PDF’, in Windows, else Crystal Clear will raise an error when trying to generate a report